Mt.Bromo

Cemoro Lawang - Probolinggo, Probolinggo, Indonesia

Mt.Bromo Probolinggo Reviews

yuness yuness
“Enjoy a beautiful scenery of Mt. Bromo” May 20, 2013
I hired motorbike and a driver to take me in the early morning around 5 am, to visit Mount Bromo. He picked me up at the hostel where I stayed in Cemoro Lawang… I’m still lazy to wake up because the weather is really cold, and also I didn’t sleep most evening because..my bedding is all really too cold brrrr I forgot to bring my sleeping bag, I am silly because I should know how cold it gets here, as this is my third time of coming to Bromo.

The last time I visited this area, I made the effort to wake up at about 3-4 am, because I want to see the sunrise at one of the Sister mountains of Bromo. This was at Mount Pananjakan, but now I want to see the sunrise at Bromo Mountain...I finally managed to get up at about 4:30am and hope not too late :). I paid the Driver for his use of him and his motorbike which was IDR 50.000 / one way. Other methods to get up to the mountain tops are by Horse which I found was out of my budget at IDR 150.000 / return or by Jeep at IDR 450.000 for 5 person if you can find others to share. You can also haggle for a good price as there are many who want your fare. Maybe you could even just walk...if not so tired like me...lol. However, if you want to enjoy the complete sensation, walking is the right choice, whilst walking you will absorb the beautiful scenery with a backdrop of Mount Semeru, which regularly puts on a free show of giant smoke. But today, for me it is easier to take a motorbike to go up Bromo mountain. I will exercise somewhere else...lol...just enjoy every sight and the ride for a change!

Here the cold weather made me wrap my scarf around the neck, pull tightly my buttoned jacket and put on gloves, these on top of wearing thick clothes, but very essential for viewing at the crater of Bromo. Indeed Bromo Mountain, is located 2,392 meters above sea level the temperature regularly is known to be 0 to 10 degrees Celsius and no higher.

A festival called “Yadnya Kasada” is held every year by the Tengger tribe who are people who inhabit the Mount Bromo, they believe that here is the place where a princess named Roro Anteng founded the principality of Tengger with her husband, Joko Seger. The couple were childless and called on the assistance of the mountain Gods. The Gods granted them 24 children but stipulated that the 25th child, named Kesuma, must be thrown into the volcano as human sacrifice. The gods' request was fulfilled. At this festival once a year the tide go up into the crater and cast in dedications of vegetables, chicken, and money as sacrifices and offerings to the Gods.

Mount Bromo is derived from the word Brahma (one of the Hindu Gods). Bromo is a volcano that is still active and well-known as a tourist icon of East Java. The mountain is not as big as other volcanoes in Indonesia but has spectacular and dramatic scenery. The exceptional beauty makes all tourists who visit here, amazed.

It took around 25 minutes to arrive at the foot of Bromo mountain from here I must walk or take a horse up to the crater, I can walk the 200 meters up to the top. There are many people already here tourist and locals. It is most annoying when walking towards the crater of Mount Bromo because of the dust which is made by the visitors, horses and the natural winds. So I advise you do not forget to use glasses and dust masks so as not to disturb you. Also be careful to avoid trampling in the horse dung scattered on the road.

Many times I stopped just take a breath, and finally arrived at the base of the stairs to the crater, at this point now there is only the matter of climbing the hundreds of steps to get to on the crater rim. But it seemed tireless for my legs keep moving but thrilling and mesmerizing at the same time. The Sensation that is felt when I have completed the hundreds of step climb is paid off, because beautiful and spectacular scenery at the peak of the Bromo crater, removes all tiredness instantly. I have conquered the peak of Bromo, a tourist attraction that is formidable worldwide.

Remembering the picturesque image of the smoking Mount Bromo from afar, Now at the peak I can see deep into the crater where that smoke is emited with the added smell and sense of a real Volcano that is Mount Bromo. A real intoxicating atmosphere. In addition to observing the crater of Bromo, I also see the beauty of Mount Batok which is exactly located next to Mount Bromo also all the other mountain ranges... If you glance down, you can also observe the verdant landscape and the huge sea of sand that fences here, with the Hindu “Luhur Poten Temple” in the middle. A community owned temple of the Tengger tribe. Everywhere is very beautiful…This place is Absolutely incredible.

After the news of the last eruption here a couple of years ago, Mount Bromo has become a very big attraction…
The sunrise
View of Mt.Batok
View of Luhur Poten Temple
yuness says:
Yes Walter...its an extraordinary place...thank you for your comment :)
Posted on: Aug 16, 2013
WalterC says:
While the journey to the top may not be fun, it still looks like a nice place to visit. ;)
Posted on: Aug 15, 2013