Mt Warning

Murwillumbah, Australia

Mt Warning Murwillumbah Reviews

philk1 philk1
Hiking to the top of Mount Warning Jul 11, 2011
Mount Warning is the remains of a volcano that last erupted 23 million years ago but i make no promises that it wont happen again, so nows the time to walk it.

First of all i reccomend the beautiful friendly and cheap

Mount warning holiday park about 3/4 ks down the road from mnt warning itself as a good place to base yourself.

cost is $10 - $15 per nite for campers and they have cabins that sleep 5 people for $85. lots of good community spirit here as there is a permant population and they seem happy n intrested to meet you and even pour u a drink.

Many thanks to max who even took me to the uki pub which is

a night to remember with lots of good old fashioned country ozzys mixed with the visitors, not to mention a regular stop for bike riders.

Climbing Mnt Warning is not for the faint hearted has its 9klms round trip and you should go well prepared.

CAMERA!!!!!!!!!!!

2/3 litres of water

proper walking shoes

light food snacks n fruit

Most of the walk is under the tree line so even tho it was 21c the day i went, it was a bit nippy and i wore a light jumper both ways and even my beanie at times.

Its advised that the walk will take around 5hours however that sumwhat depends how long you spend at the summit.

i spent 45mins up there and i got back in 4hours 20mins.

being a 51 year old unfit male thats not bad.

its advised to start up by 9am at the latest (7am in the summer) as it gets dark much earlier under the tree line in winter and u want to be back down by 3.30 latest i would say.

In the Summer, tempretures can rise to 36c so walking is best done early as possible and as late as possible missing the mid day heat.

I wont go into the beauty of the forest sights and brilliant views as i can not hope to do them justice in words, so the walk itself.

We set out at a reasonably leisurly stroll along a well defined path inc concrete steps, however i reckon by the time we had walked for 1klm up the slight gradient we were ready to stop at a break in the tree's where the sun shone through.

So after taking both water and photo's we continued upwards

with the track now becoming a little less certain with stones and tree roots that can trip you up to watch for.

stopping again for more water in the shade, we found we cooled down quite rapidly and so its not advisable to stop for too long. by the time we got to the halfway sign post i was thinking "Are we there yet??"

This stop included chocolate and i thoroughly reccomend you take your own as my companion was not very good at fractions.

However despite this, we agreed we would continue on and we seemed to be spurred on by both the chocolate and the passion of the disagreement!!!

We semmed to make the 1.4 klm to go sign with a minimum of fuss and after more water and proper division of the apple after i cut it, we set off for the summit.

Ha, my legs seemed not to share my enthusiasm quite as much and they actually felt like i carried them for the next 1k.

we finally reached the sign that said there was only another 400 metres to go but an american lady who was now on her way back down gave us a few words of encouragement "its intense n scary getting up there!!" mmmmm the last 400metres is pretty steep and for most of it u have to hang on to the chain provide to pull your self up.

a bit more mmmmmmmmmmm , mmmmmmmm i reckon thats the LONGEST 400 metres i ever travelled and what hurts more were the little kids passing me by (just wait till there 51).

I did actually enjoy the chain climb but i was buggered when i finally got to the top. Too buggered to look at the panoramic 360 views, however after some hummous, pitta bread, another well split apple n some water i was all good.

You can actually see surfers paradise skyline clearly not to mention the lighthouse at byron and the breaking surf on the beach, even a faint brisbane skyline can be percieved.

In fact i even got over being short changed with the chocolate it was so good.

So after 45mins on the top we headed back down and its here i flew down the chain absailing past others quite easily with little effort, then freshly fired up from conquering the top and decending the chain we fairly ran rock hopping reckleslly which was great fun and was bound to end with me on my face. a root caught up with me and i went down fatally wounded, my companion refused to call for an helicopter, however her words

of inspiration which were "if u cant walk can i have ur curry back at the van" caused me to push back the pain barrier and proceed at a lot slower rate. by the time we had got back to the halfway point, my knees were protesting along with my ankle and the rate was reduced again. we finally got back and there was a hot shower n a curry to finish a perfect day
philk1 says:
mmmm a couple of mistakes apparently
the camp site is 3 to 4 klms from mount warning
and the chocolate was shared fairly equally n i was just being a grump !!!:)
Posted on: Jul 11, 2011