Mt. Pinatubo Crater

Mount Pinatubo, Philippines

Mt. Pinatubo Crater Mount Pinatubo Reviews

Mcat3456 Mcat3456
The Veiw from Up Here May 01, 2012
My trip to Mt. Pinatubo Crater Lake started with a night stay at a Home Stay the was run but a Father-Daughter partnership. And i must say, some of the nicest people we've met. The accommodations were culturally traditional. No hot water(a standard i found everywhere i went) and air conditioning units limited to sleeping areas only. The family, however was very welcoming and the home cooked food was much welcomed. While relaxing the night before with my travel companions and enjoying a drink, the father joined us and sang and danced the night away.

The Climb.. it was an 1hr Jeep ride followed by a 2hr hike. I myself am not a huge fan of hiking long and difficult distances, but the scenery along the way and the view when we finally reached the crater was Unbelievable. Breathtaking, and awe-inspiring. We swam in the Crater Lake and had lunch before the hour and a half trek back down to the Jeeps.

I myself would probably never do it again, but encourage anyone with the legs young enough to survive the trek to do it.

Tips: Wear a comfortable and durable walking/ water shoe or sandal. Mainly hiking over lava rocks and through streams, with little to no opportunity to stop and rinse the rocks that WILL get inside your shoes out.

If possible pack a good lunch to eat at the crater lake... you will need it for energy to get back down. The daughter at the Stay house made us sandwiches and packed fruit.

There is camping available if you would like to stay at the crater over night. My group didn't know about this until it was too late.

For me this was the hardest and yet my favorite excursion of my 3week stay in the Philippines. I made sure to take a ton of pictures because i most likely will never do it again. :-)
On the ride out!
Ashes to Ashes...
And to think this was the site of …
Care for a swim?
janski janski
Trek it up the crater Jul 23, 2011

When I was younger, June 1991 to be specific, Mt. Pinatubo erupted so violently that ashfall and other effects even hit Manila, which is 3 hours away. After centuries of being dormant, the eruption left the area destroyed (infrastructure and farmland) and people missing and dead.

But now, after 20 years, the crater is one of the must-see places here in the Philippines.

When you arrive to the meet up point, you then take a 4x4 jeep (around 45-minute ride) to the next point nearest to the summit. When you reach the end part of the ride, you then hike it up to the crater. It's a 45-minute hike / trek (actually depending on how fast you are and if you're all geared up. Forty five minutes is the fast time. Lol!), passing thru sandy cliffs and mountain path. Some who's not used to it, might feel like it takes them forever, but believe me, once you reach the crater, amazing!

When you get to the crater and the lake, it's just breathtaking you will forget how long you trek to reach there. You can buy drinks there but we usually bring food on the way. You can take a swim or just a dip in the lake and it just feels refreshing afterwards. After taking pictures and enjoying the surroundings, we go trek it back down to the town, where you can have a good massage afterwards =)

Piece of advice : Gear yourself up so you won't have a hard time. Do NOT bring an umbrella because this is not a touring thing (some would bring!). Hike it up fast but conscious of the path, so you won't stumble and fall, and to prevent delaying the hike up.. Happy trekking! =)
holdmyhandsforever says:
Congrats buddy! :)
crazychictraveller says:
wish i can go there also and congrats!
mountaingirl says:
Wow, the place looks lovely! :-) Congrats on the feature!
Posted on: Aug 02, 2011

Compare Singer Island Hotel Rates (<1km away)

Mount Pinatubo Map