Mt Ontake

Kiso-machi, Japan

Mt Ontake Kiso-machi Reviews

ys484 ys484
our favorite sacred mountain Oct 08, 2012
Mount Ontake is a beautiful volcano in Nagano. It is 3,067 meters above sea level. The snowcapped Ontakesan can be seen from our city in a wintry fine day. In short, this mountain is our familiar sacred mountain. This mountain is said relatively easy to climb. Hiking and treks are truly very popular in Japan. So the vast parking lot is almost full even in the early morning. Most of the tourists use a ropeway and head for the eighth station, Nyonindo. This mountain is a religious mountain. The ancients feared an eruption, so they had worshiped this volcano as a god. So many torii and various monuments are erected. We had to be in time for the last ropeway, so we didn't have much time left. I didn't have confidence in reaching the summit. So our goal was changed the hut of the ninth station. The hut is 2,800 meters above sea level. When we crossed the tree line, the field of vision suddenly opened up. The road to the ninth station was very stony. I climbed up volcanic rocks gingerly. I heard the scenes around the mountaintop are very beautiful. I'd like to reach the summit someday.

Mount Ontake erupted on September 27 in 2014. According to the news, the number of casualties have been increasing. No one could predict this beautiful popular mountain's eruption.
our goal was the hut of the ninth …
Ontake ropeway
mountaingirl says:
Congrats on the feature! :) I would like to visit Japan next year :)
Posted on: Oct 01, 2014
sylviandavid says:
Congratulations on the featured review. I'm so happy you got to climb it and experience it ... and that you are safe. The September 27 news was very sad to hear.
Posted on: Sep 30, 2014
tj1777 says:
congrats on your feature - though the latest events is very disturbing.
Posted on: Sep 30, 2014