Mt. Kilimanjaro and Moshi

Moshi-Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
Mt. Kilimanjaro and Moshi - At the top!
Mt. Kilimanjaro and Moshi - First view of Kili
Mt. Kilimanjaro and Moshi - One of many accomplishment beers!
Mt. Kilimanjaro and Moshi - Entry to Moshi

Mt. Kilimanjaro and Moshi Moshi-Kilimanjaro Reviews

crazytourist crazytou…
Mt. Kilimanjaro and Moshi Oct 08, 2011
My African adventure started in Moshi, Tanzania via Ethiopian Airlines (great choice). I had disembarked the plane in Ethiopia and Kenya, but my actual adventure didn't start until I could see Kili.

The airport in Moshi is very small and easy to navigate. The plane stops just short of the front door and off we were. Customs is easy. Make sure and have your "International Vaccination Card" as it is the first thing checked upon walking in the front door. A Tanzanian Visa for Americans was quite expensive. I think it was US $100.00, but I think it reciprocal as American Visas can be quite costly.

I booked Moshi Expedition & Mountaineering (MEM) for my trip up Kili and the rest of my time in Moshi. My drivers were waiting for me with a sign so, that was nice. Driving in Africa, or rather, riding while someone else drives in Africa is an adventure in itself. I was pretty sure that we were going to crash on our 30min drive from the airport to the town of Moshi. WE SURVIVED!!

Moshi is a very unique place. Rich in religion and customs. You could hear church bells playing while also hearing the Imam praising Allah. The town is small and can be navigated easly on foot. And that exactly what I did.

I dropped my bags and started out into the city. I was traveling alone, as I do most times, an thought nothing of it. I saw several touristy people walking also (in groups). As I started in to the city, I was approached by a common "tout". He smelled of alcohol and mary-J, but I'm judgemental so off we strolled. He said that I appeared to be a godly man and continuously asked me for money. This went on for 15 min and I finally ended our travels and said "No" (for the last time). What I didn't realize was that his entourage was surrounding me slowly like lions flanking their prey. The "tout" then drew an "masai knife". Before he could unsheathe his knife, I put my knife to his jugular. I then politely warned him and his friends that while you may rob others in this city, you won't rob me without a fight. His friends ran and I think the "tout" "shat" himself. He quickly ran also.

After my adrenaline stopped pumping I began to look back at what had just transpired. In hindsight, I should have given him the US$20 that I had in my pocket. Be careful as you are approached by street touts in Moshi. This happened in daylight, directly across from the entrance to the police station. He started following me as I passed the bus station, which is hard not to do, because the bus station is located in the middle of town. BE WEARY of the bus station.

The rest of my time in Moshi was fantastic. I walked with a group for a couple of days after that, then went back to walking by myself.

Mt Kilimanjaro was fantastic. I won't write much about it as it's better to experience it rather than read about it. I went with MEM tours which was a great experience. I went via Machame route. I also used MEM to book my Safari in the Serengeti and Ngorongoro crater. They sub-contracted the Safari as they were booked solid and I only gave them a day in advance notice. The Safari was Amazing, but the driver was horrible.

All in all, the trip was great. It was an experience of a lifetime and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.
Entry to Moshi
First view of Kili
At the top!
One of many accomplishment beers!

Related Travel Blogs About Mt. Kilimanjaro and Moshi

Moshi / Arusha / Earthquake!
16 July 2007 On the Saturday morning (14th) after we were finished volunteering, we woke up at 6am to take a taxi to DarEs Salaam, and then a 9-hour busride to Moshi (where Mt. Kilimanjaro is). We …Moshi (where Mt. Kilimanjaro is). We were in Moshi for a few days.  We got a hostel…
Mt Kili trek preparation
Preparation in deed.  I'm now getting over the short-lived samosa induced illness.  I've starved myself for a day now it's tiem to feast...on safe European food that my stomach appreciates.…Preparation in deed.  I'm now getting over the short-lived samosa induced illness.  I've starved myself…
Moshi-Kilimanjaro Map