Mr & Mrs Somani

Surat, India
Mr & Mrs Somani - The complimentary starter!
Mr & Mrs Somani - The traditional Indian brass plate
Mr & Mrs Somani - The decor
Mr & Mrs Somani - The beautiful lanterns
Mr & Mrs Somani - The table decorations
Mr & Mrs Somani - The brass plate again (of course we dont eat on it. They keep a glass plate on it!)
Mr & Mrs Somani - The plate detail

Mr & Mrs Somani Surat Reviews

bonitovida bonitovi…
TGB's multicuisine restaurant. An expensive affair Jun 09, 2011
A friend of mine hadn’t spoken well of this place but I decided to try it anyway because my friend is a little crazy! We had a choice between Café Piano and M & M S and since we had to go in for Ala Carte, we turned towards the vegetarian M&MS. Café Piano is great, by the way.

The ambience of M&MS is, no doubt, excellent. Soft lights, beautiful, ancient wooden decor, lovely lanterns, cane furniture, brass plates and fusion music. I loved it instantly. Perfect way to wind up a frustrating, stressful day. The place was 30% full and we could get a good table. I regretted not taking my camera because the décor and decorations on the table were a photographer’s delight.

The heavy menu card disappointed. The menu is smallish – few items under each head of starters, drinks, rice, sabzis, etc. Each item costs not less than Rs. 300. The description of the items looked enticing and I hoped the actual preparation was equally good.

We were presented with a complimentary starter of broccoli and baby tomatoes. A good gesture. What I liked more than the starter itself was the date chutney. The item was so tiny that we finished it in seconds.

The starter we had ordered was a mushroom and vegetable kebab. Presented well, it lacked the consistency of a good kebab. The waiter serving it faced an embarrassing situation as he tried to lift one kebab and it broke into several pieces. I pretended to ignore and my friend didn’t notice it. The taste of the kebab was good, not great, and the texture was poor. It did not have the crisp, little-hard surface, kebabs are supposed to have. The ingredients didn’t bond well and came lose easily. The chutney platter was good as was the vinegar fried onion rings.

Our second dish was Lazeez Vegetable Biryani. I do not eat vegetarian food outside and have no clue how a vegetable biryani is supposed to taste. Even then I could make out that this was not a good biryani. It was bland. Some spices seemed to be in a higher proportion than others. The boondi raita that we had ordered as a side dish was good but not good enough to levitate the taste of the biryani. I was hungry and generally happy being in a good place with a good friend, after such a stressful day as work, and managed to finish almost half of the whole dish but my friend merely kept playing with the rice and couldn’t take it in!

We wound up the dinner with complimentary ‘Thank you’ chocolate presented by the petite female staff. The chocolate dome had coconut filling inside. This little piece of chocolate turned out to be the best part of the whole meal!

I would not recommend it, definitely. It is heavily priced and the taste isn’t worth it. TGB is a good hotel – peaceful, posh and cosy. Skip Mr. and Mrs. Somani restaurant and pay a visit to Café Piano’s Sunday brunch. Totally worth each penny!
The traditional Indian brass plate
The table decorations
The brass plate again (of course w…
The plate detail