Mountain Gorilla View Lodge

Ruhengeri, Rwanda

Mountain Gorilla View Lodge Ruhengeri Reviews

Capermel Capermel
Beautifully located and safe Aug 24, 2014
I gave the 'Value' of this only a Good because it is rather expensive and there are plenty of places in the area that you can stay at for cheaper. I think I spent around $750per night (American) ! Yeah, I usually stay in hostels so this was not my norm haha. When I booked I was told by my agent that I had this lodge or Virunga, I believe Virunga was nearly double. They told me I would be staying in 'basic' accomodations but that I should be comfortable enough.

When I got there I had my OWN cottage/lodge/house , it was amazing ! The food, top notch ! I was travelling alone though and I felt slightly out of place because it was a lot of wealthier people eating and I was sitting there in my mudders alone checking out my photos. In my opinion it is 'high end' ... I cant complain though ! Definitely safe, they have armed guards at the gates and it is close to the national park enterance for the Gorilla hike, Virunga is not. Even when I got back from the hike they met me at the front of the hotel and took my boots and returned them cleaned for me ! Amazing service.

You only get WiFi in the main eating area, not your lodge, and it only works for maybe a minute or two. But who wants to be on WiFi when you are in paradise ! Don't expect to contact family from there though, its next to impossible.
My table at the lodge. They provid…
What my agent called 'basic' accom…
Plenty of hot water and western st…
The view from my lodge.
halilee halilee
Amazing lodge! Aug 23, 2013
We spent 3 nights in this wonderful lodge. Our room was a spacious triple room with nice beds and 2 pillows on each bed. The floor is stone. There is a lovely sitting area with fireplace that the staff lit around 5pm to help heat the room. It does get chilly once the sun sets and there is no heating. 2 of the 3 nights they put hot water bottles in our beds which made such a difference! how delightful! i think i might start doing that at home, lol! Umbrellas are provided in the room. The bathroom is huge with a shower but no shower curtain.

The lodge itself is sprawling and beautiful with trees and flowers and magnificent views of the volcanoes of which there are 4 in this area that our guide mentioned. There is manicured yard area with chairs in order to sit and enjoy the views.

Power is on from 4:45am-7am, 12pm-1:30pm, & 4pm-11pm.

There is no wifi, only 2 extremely slow, ridiculously slow computers on modem. But really, out here in the middle of nowhere in the Rwandan mountains, can one expect much more?

Every night at 5pm there is a Rwandan traditional dance.

Breakfast is quite good with sausage, made to order omelettes, fruit, breads, crepes, potatoes, veggies, beans

Lunch is buffet style and featured several veggie dishes, a meat dish and a fish dish and soup.

Supper is buffet style and has a decent variety , including soup, and is pretty tasty.

The staff are very friendly and accommodating and also very attentive. They also offer to clean your shoes/boots every day at the end of your trek.

I would highly recommend this lodge to anyone!
vances says:
Sounds like internet facilities were suffering from a terminal illness....
Posted on: Mar 02, 2014
halilee says:
I tried the computers.. gave up. Way too slow!
Posted on: Dec 09, 2013
spocklogic says:
Maybe the umbrellas double as shower curtain too ; ) Wow, computers with modems - why even bother :/
Posted on: Dec 09, 2013