Mount Vesuvius

Vesuvio, Italy

Mount Vesuvius Vesuvio Reviews

Zagnut66 Zagnut66
Mount Vesuvius National Park Mar 09, 2013
Towering over the Bay of Naples, Mount Vesuvius is best known for its eruption in 79 CE that buried the city of Pompeii in ash. Today it is a national park with a winding road that takes you near the cone of the still-active volcano. The trail from the parking lot took about 25 minutes to climb to the top, though folks used to hiking can probably reach the cone faster. There was a souvenir stand selling drinks and snacks halfway up the trail and another stand at the summit, which kind of spoiled the mystique of the most famous volcano in Europe.

It's still worth the climb for the spectacular views of Naples below. Bands of mist would fly down the slope and reduce visibility to just a few meters, then suddenly open up to reveal the glistening city and the sea in the distance. Looking down the cone was eerie knowing that it once belched death for thousands of terrified people in antiquity. If it rumbles again, maybe the park employees can toss the cheap souvenirs into the cone to plug it up.

It was windy and cold on the March day of my visit. I was lazy and had pre-booked a package tour of Vesuvius and Pompeii from Rome through Viator for 175 U.S. dollars. Since I was the only person scheduled for that day, I had a personal driver and tour guide (I still don't know why they just didn't cancel it, but I'm not complaining). The tour guide said they usually have 20 - 25 people per tour in peak season and use a bus rather than a car. If you drive yourself, watch out for the bicyclists and large busses meandering up and down the mountain roads. I was dumped off in the parking area to climb the rest of the way myself. Just make sure you take the same trail back down so you don't end up on the other side of the mountain.
Parking area below
Naples through the mist
Naples obscured by the mist
Winded from the climb
cimtech says:
Great place, nice pictures !
Posted on: Mar 23, 2014
christine4321 says:
Nice pictures!
Posted on: Mar 21, 2014
IndoIan says:
Nice Review...thank you Bill for sharing, congrats as to its Feature the other day.
Posted on: Mar 18, 2014
nadda nadda
Oct 07, 2004
This has been a breathtaking experience for me. We drove for 3-4 hours from our hotel in Rome to see the great Mount Vesuvius. The bus drove us halfway up the great volcano and we had to walk the rest of the way. It was a long walk up but it was worth it. The scenery was beautiful and the thought of standing on a volcano is really weird. There are some gift shops on the way to the top and you can rent a walking stick if you want to.
christine4321 says:
Great review, you are an awesome writer!
Posted on: May 13, 2013
Traveling_Brian says:
I'd love to hear more about Vesuvius. I noticed they have 9 different hikes. Which did you choose?
Posted on: Nov 03, 2007

Compare Ercolano Hotel Rates (6.9km away)

Mount Vesuvius Map