Mount Vernon Inn

3200 Mount Vernon Memorial Highway, Mount Vernon, VA, USA

Mount Vernon Inn Reviews

vances vances
I must be nuts Jun 25, 2017
Not the greatest dining experience of your life, but the Mount Vernon Inn will supply a fair meal in a suitably colonial atmosphere during your visit to George and Martha’s place.

The restaurant is situated in a well-done reproduction of colonial elegance, with decoration and attendants sympathetically appointed. I was saddened my mother and sister did not join me in ordering a cup of Virginia Peanut Soup, though the explanation is humorous. Despite her period dress, our waitress was Hispanic and not particularly conversant in English. Mom asked a few questions about the soup and they circled around without resolution, resulting in a pass. I held no reservations, however, and found the soup quite tasty.

At the end of the day, the menu does offer a fair selection of colonial fare, while remaining broad enough to cater to the masses they entertain here. More important, prices were steep, but not outrageous, as one might expect for a themed venue located within a major attraction.

I complemented my soup with a Cobb Salad, which was okay. Overall the service was adequate and the atmosphere lovely. Mount Vernon Inn works well with the setting but is clearly no motivation to visit George’s estate by itself.
Shall we grab a bite before explor…
Front porch at Mount Vernon Inn
My Cobb Salad and peanut soup
An elegantly appointed waiting roo…
cotton_foam says:
My late congrats on your featured review!!
Posted on: Jul 28, 2017
aloneinthecrowd says:
Congrats on your featured review, Vance :)
starship1 says:
Definitely would like to try the peanut soup here sometime! Congrats on having the featured review today.
Andy99 Andy99
Dining in a Colonial Atmosphere at Mt. Vernon May 22, 2010
The Mount Vernon Inn, on the property of George Washington's Mount Vernon, offers lunch and dinner served in a Colonial atmosphere. Costumed waitstaff, wooden furnishings, paneled walls, a large fireplace and candles in the evening contribute to the ambiance. It's a great place to have lunch when visiting George Washington's Mount Vernon. (Much better than the food court alternative.) We especially like to dine here during the holiday season when the Inn is decorated in the Colonial Christmas style.

At lunch, dishes range from hearty fare like Colonial Turkey Pye to soups, salads, and sandwiches to burgers. I like the Pulled Pork Barbecue Sandwich and the Smoked Turkey Club Sandwich. (Sandwiches are served with tasty Tavern Chips.) Susan likes the Tavern Salad. Be sure to try the signature Peanut and Chestnut Soup!
Mt. Vernon Inn
Mt. Vernon Inn Interior
Mug of Peanut and Chestnut Soup
Duck and Sausage Cassoulet served …
starship1 says:
Nice review and good photos!
jennjeff1 says:
We go to Mount Vernon all the time, but still have yet to eat here!
Posted on: Jun 20, 2015
Zagnut66 says:
Andy, do you know if the building itself is from the colonial era? I'm embaressed to admit that I haven't been to Mount Vernon since I was in grade school despite living only twenty minutes away.
Posted on: Jan 01, 2013