Mount Vernon Estate and Gardens

3200 Mount Vernon Memorial Highway, Alexandria, VA, USA

Mount Vernon Estate and Gardens Alexandria Reviews

Andy99 Andy99
At the Home of Geroge and Martha Washington May 22, 2010
Mount Vernon was the home and estate of George and Martha Washington. It’s long been one of the major sites to see when visiting the Washington, DC, area. Locals like to visit it, too. Mount Vernon is located in southern Fairfax County, Virginia. It’s the center of what was once an 8,000 acre plantation. It's the home Washington left to lead the Continental Army in the American Revolution and left to serve as the first President. The house and site have been maintained and operated by the Mt. Vernon Ladies Association since 1860 as a museum open to the public.

Admission to the Mt. Vernon enables you to tour the house and see the nearby plantation buildings and gardens and exhibits on Washington and his times. Inside the house you’ll see several of the 22 rooms including the Dining Room, Master Bedroom, Lafayette Bedroom and Washington’s Study with his books and maps. The rooms are furnished with period furniture, decorations, and accessories (Martha’s shoes look very fashionably modern.) The outside kitchen and other plantation outbuildings have been preserved or restored and contain interpretive exhibits. A pathway leads to down Washington’s tomb.

Various other exhibits document Washington’s life as a Virginia farmer, Revolutionary War general, and President. You’ll see Washington memorabilia such his famous wooden false teeth, china and silverware used by the Washingtons, and the key to the Bastille given to him by Lafayette.

In December, there are special candlelight tours of Mt. Vernon. That’s always a pleasant holiday experience and concludes with hot cider around a warm fire.

Admission: Adults $15.00.
Mount Vernon
Kitchen at Mt. Vernon
Tomb of George and Martha Washingt…
wildntexas says:
Great write up. I can't really add anything to it, other than to mention that dogs are allowed everywhere at Mount Vernon, just not in the buildings.
Posted on: Jun 20, 2010
missandrea81 says:
I drove by the signs on Route 1 so many times but never went. I guess I'll have to come back one day. Great review, Andy. Well done!
Posted on: May 27, 2010
jennjeff1 says:
Great write-up Andy on one of our favorite places in the DC area!
Posted on: May 23, 2010
camwilde camwilde
Mount Vernon Dec 07, 2010
We spent our last day in the DC area at Mount Vernon. Despite the speeding ticket we received on the way down, it was totally worth it. You could spend days on the house and grounds. There were seasonal events (it was Christmas), a museum, tours, a kids play area, and even a camel.

The museum was very educative. I actually stayed with my daughter as my wife saw the exhibits. She gave me a great report though and we both learned a ton. In the kids area, there is a large doll house version of Mount Vernon that my 3 year old gravitated towards. She spent a good hour playing with it.

The tour of the grounds was also great and the camel was hilarious (it tried to eat my daughter's coat). I would definitely return as I don't think we even got close to experiencing everything this place had to offer.
Mount Vernon
tj1777 tj1777
Mount Vernon - home of the father of the country Oct 11, 2008
The old home of George Washington is just a short car or bike ride away from the central parts of Washington DC. Hence the place makes an easy day trip or a nice stop on your way south to other parts f Virginia. The place is run by one of the oldest organizations in the USA dedicated to preserving historic sights the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association.

At the sight there are a couple of big museums telling a bit of the life of George Washington and how he managed to increase his estate while he also served his country as a commander of the Continental Army and later the first president.

The house is the first thing you probably want to see but this is by no means the only interesting thing at the sight. The other buildings around the property will give you an insight into the life of the other people on the farm. Both the free whites and the slaves. There is also some gardens and fields which will introduce you to the life of the farm in old time Virginia.

The house is placed just at the Potomac River and got a splendid view of the river just of the lane behind the house.

Because of the vicinity to Washington DC the place can get crowded in the weekends and the line to actually enter the house will grow really long during the afternoon. Hence try to get there early if you manage to get inside the house before 11 the wait in the line will be a lot shorter than later in the day.

The entry prices is:

The view of the Potomac River
The flower garden
The slave quaters
sincitytraveler says:
Oh Mickey you brought back memories with this blog and pics! When I lived in NJ I would go to Washington DC and visit Mt Vernon in the fall...such beautiful grounds aside from the great history there. Thanks for the great blog and pics! :)
Posted on: Oct 26, 2008
bkretzer says:
Interesting perspective from a non-American.
Posted on: Oct 26, 2008
jennjeff1 jennjeff1
Mount Vernon Estate-Home to our First President, George Washington Sep 12, 1999
We lived in south Alexandria near the Mount Vernon Estate, home of George and Martha Washington, for 4 years. We really enjoyed our visits to the Mout Vernon Estate so we paid to become annual members so we could get in free whenever we wanted to go. We also enjoyed the benefits of membership, including the Spring and Fall Mount Vernon Virginia Wine Festivals, the Open Houses and the rare opportunity to see the basement wine cellar and the third floor of the estate on a private "member's only" tour.

Christmas is also a fun time to visit with campfires and hommeade ginger snap cookies, but the best time to visit is during the summer tourist season when you can take a short cruise on the Potomac River.
Mount Vernon Estate, home of the f…
Actors representing graveyard digg…
Docks of the short cruise on the P…
View from the short cruise on the …

Check Alexandria Hotel Deals