Mount Rushmore

(605) 574-2523

Mount Rushmore Mount Rushmore National Memorial Reviews

aelder2259 aelder22…
Another Thing Off My Bucket List Dec 14, 2014
We arrived at the park around 6:30am. The gate was open, but nobody was around to collect the parking fee ($11 per car). So, we just proceeded to the parking garage. There were a few other cars there, but we really didn't see anyone else around. There's no fee to enter the park...just the parking fee.

Walking up to the viewing area was bitterly cold as the heavy winds blew through our coats. The sun was just coming up, making for a beautiful sky. If it weren't so cold and we weren't on a time crunch, it would have been fun to to up to the top (I believe you can get to an area where you're looking out through an eye).
SammiHammi SammiHam…
AWESOME Oct 20, 2008
this was the most awesome trip ever.

we were in south dakota, literally, for 48 hours for a friends birthday.

I went to presidential park, crazy horse, mount Rushmore, bear country, a buffalo museum fully funded by Kevin Costner, the first house to have electricity and running water in south dakota in Deadwood, and much more.

i recommend going and seeing the sights in the rapid city, keystone area. there is so much to do, you would be surprised.

the entire weekend, including airfare, hotel, food, gas, car rental, and admission to park cost each party around 450 $. and most of the park admission was good for an entire year!

I stayed at the Quality Inn in Rapid City. It was clean, cheap, people were nice. IT was also located near a k mart and all sorts of restaurants and the downtown area. It was perfect for what we were there for. I would recommend the Firehouse brewing company (i think that was it's name). either way its in an old firehouse. Service was slow, but i'm from NY so I really am not a fair judge. I am still trying to locate chicken wings that are better then the wings i had at that firehouse brewing company for dinner. don't go to the TGI Fridays down the road from the quality inn. The waitress that served us had an obvious problem with the fact that we were out of towners, and made it clear by attempting to insult us. it was funny to say the least. all and all i liked south dakota.
X_Drive X_Drive
Jul 16, 2006
Mount Rushmore National Memorial hosts about three million visitors a year from across the nation and around the world. They come to marvel at the majestic beauty of the Black Hills and to learn about the ideals of democracy and freedom represented by the granite portraits of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln. Over the years, Mount Rushmore has gained fame as a symbol of American freedom and democracy and a hope for people from all cultures and backgrounds.

Mount Rushmore was begun back in October 1927 and approximately 400 workers were involved in the carving process that took until October 1941 to complete. Not one worker lost his life during this extremely dangerous work.

Doane Robinson is known as the “Father of Mount Rushmore”, and it was his idea for to carve the huge faces in the Black Hills. He wanted to create an attraction that would draw people from all over the country to his state. He contacted Gutzon Borglum, a well known sculptor, in August of 1924. Borglum accepted the offer and after a couple of meeting they found the site where the carvings would be completed.  Funding was harder than the rock that was to be carved.

Today, the huge concrete parking structure, entry, gift shops, food courts and all hardly seem to be what was pictured when the attraction began.

Still, for all Americans this is a site to see.
euphemy says:
Thanks for the review. Suzi & I are hoping to get here sometime next year.
Posted on: Apr 18, 2007
keeweeset says:
I didn't realise that all this stuff was in front of Mount Rushmore. I imagined it to be in the middle of nowhere.
Posted on: Apr 17, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Mount Rushmore

Day Two - Crazy Horse and Mount Rushmore
Day Two Today, the adventure continued as we arose from our traveling apartment, a "seven" person tent that we use for two adults and two children.   Our goal today was to visit the sites…Memorial and continued northwest towards Mount Rushmore. Mount Rushmore National Memorial Mount Rushmore National
The Lost Trip to Sturgis South Dakota 2004
The TRIP was not really lost it was my pictures that were stuck in the Blue Screened Hell of my old computer.  Mount Rushmore National Memorial Seeing the Mount Rushmore National Memorial in Keyston…Mount Rushmore National Memorial Seeing the Mount Rushmore National Memorial in Keystone, South Dakota for the first…
Four Heads on a Mountain
Two things to do today and Mount Rushmore is the first.  Only a half hour or less from our hotel so driving is slow and fun. We’ll spend as much time as we’d like here before going to lunch …Mount Rushmore is the first.   Only a half hour or less from our hotel so driving is slow and fun. We’ll spend as much time…

Compare Keystone Hotel Rates (3.4km away)

Mount Rushmore Map