Mount Pilatus

Mount Pilatus, Switzerland

Mount Pilatus Reviews

FoxyFauz FoxyFauz
Mount Pilatus Oct 06, 2015
It was a long queue to go up the railway to Mount Pilatus. I think we queued for about 1.5 hour at least. This is early June which by right is not the peak season. It was a pretty long ride up to reach this 7000 feet high mountain and the railway is among the steepest 48% ascent. At first, we saw all the greenery and as we go up even higher, we started to see the snow cap mountains. Yes the mountains still have snow in June. At the summit, there is a big station which houses a restaurant and a canteen (cafeteria) style food. I find the prices of the food and drinks overpriced but hey Welcome to Switzerland! And this being in Swiss mountains make it even more expensive. So we ate lunch here. Note that not much vegetarian options except for eating plain salad.

There was a chunk of snow at the station and I get my very first experience with snow in June! Do note that it is advisable to wear comfortable shoes. I was wearing plain ballerinas and my feet hurt thereafter climbing up the stairs to reach the peak. We climbed up the stairs to reach the very top in order to get the whole view of the mountain scenery. My husband was carrying our luggage as we had already checked out of our hotel and this was just a stopover before we head home. So everyone was staring at him with the luggage! The view was of course priceless, just like the pictures you see in calendars of Switzerland, covering the city of Luzern to the lake of Luzern, from Santis to Titlis, from Bernese Alps to Jungfrau. I would say a definite must do when in Luzerne.

Compare Singer Island Hotel Rates (<1km away)

Mount Pilatus Map