Mount Lavinia Hotel

Mount Lavinia Hotel Rates and Deals

Mount Lavinia Hotel Reviews

MeiYen MeiYen
Mount Lavinia Hotel Aug 30, 2010
Mount Lavinia Hotel is located about 12 km south of Colombo. I had a hard time deciding between Galle Face Hotel and Mount Lavinia Hotel but after staying there for 2 nights and driving past Galle Face, I am very sure I made the right choice! My deciding factor happens to be the beach. Mount Lavinia Hotel nestled on a cliff overlooking the majestic view of the Indian Ocean and the private beach sold me!

Let’s start with the checking in; we arrived late at about 9.15pm after a long drive from Sigiriya, from the uniformed doormen to the reception counter, the rustic lobby, the welcome drink, the friendly smile of the reception, somehow it makes me feel less tired. We had a lovely room, not direct ocean view but still with the ocean view. The Colonial looking room is furnished with antique period furnitures and wooden floor. The only thing is that there is no duvet, just sheets to use as blanket. It is still definitely more comfortable than the hotel I stayed at in Kandy. The bathroom is spacious but basic. Just standing shower but there is a window that you could just open the blinds and overlook the ocean. Yes! They have hairdryer and amenities! Unlike the previous hotel I stayed in…

Breakfast is fantastic there! Food is excellent and fresh. The curries is a must try! We couldn’t get enough of the curry fish, not to mention the varieties of sausages, beef, chicken and pork, the waffle counter, the salad counter, cold cuts, fresh fruits and juices. Just lovely! Even the squirrels come by to have their breakfast there. They are pretty bold too, coming over to your table standing up and looking at you, if they could talk, I bet they would say, “Feed Me”. There is a cordoned off section where we have breakfast as the crows too come by to the tables to pick at food on the plates that was left on the table. The cordoned off area helps to eliminates too many of them coming by.

The poolside has an amazing view of the Indian Ocean and you could see the trains passing by the coastal railway track from a distance. The Terrace, the restaurant by the poolside is a great place to have some evening cocktails with the hues of sunset, the birds flying by, the soft music and sashaying waves and coconut trees sets the ambience for a perfect evening.

There is a beachside restaurant called the Seafood Cove, overlooking the Indian Ocean, unfortunately we did not have time to try the food there.

Service is excellent. I could not fault them even if they did get my timing mixed up on sending a porter to my room to help us with the luggage. We requested for the pick up the night at the reception for a porter to come by at 5.20am but he came by at 3.30am in the morning. He did apologize.

We had an early flight and the hotel arranges to have our breakfast to go in a box, with ham and cheese sandwich, apple, banana, a hard boiled egg, a Danish pastry and a box of orange juice.

A brief history of the hotel; it seems that this was formerly a Governor’s house during the British rule, dated all the way back to the 1800s. The Governor then Sir Thomas Maitland had acquired the land and build his residence which is now the Mount Lavinia Hotel. The name Lavinia came from the local girl, a dancer by the name of Lovina whom he fell in love with. Due to status, the lovers could only meet in private hence the construction of a secret tunnel from his wine cellar all the way to her house, where the lovers could use the tunnel for their rendezvous.
Hotel at night
Lady Lavinia
Lobby
Reception
MeiYen says:
I want to go back there again. Mostly for the view! :)
northlight says:
your review makes me want to stay here!
MeiYen says:
My pleasure! :)

Mount Lavinia Hotel Overview

The Mount Lavinia Hotel is one of Sri Lanka's finest hotels, combining imperial elegance with the comfort and facilities of a fine modern resort. With its grand colonial architecture, extensive beach frontage, fragrant tropical gardens, the Mount Lavinia Hotel stands as a monument to the forbidden love of Governor General Thomas Maitland and a local dancer Lovinia who cast a spell on his heart. All 275 rooms have an individual personality where colonial architecture and modern amenities blend to the lull of the ocean. This premier heritage hotel, located 12 kilometres from the Colombo city centre and 5 minutes from Ratmalana domestic airport, is one of the most sought after venues for weddings and events.

FACILITIES:

The Mount Lavinia Hotel offers an array of dining options such as Dine Under the Stars, Governor's Restaurant, The Sea Food Cove, The Terrace and Tropical Bar. There is 24 hour reception, lobby bar, concierge, tour desk and car rental, business and secretarial services, banquet and conference facilities, foreign exchange, laundry service, 24 hour room service, shopping arcade, internet Wi-Fi service, airport shuttle service, baby sitting arranged, doctor on call, disabled facilities, private beach. A variety of leisure activities include the spa and beauty salon, fitness centre, outdoor swimming pool, pool table, indoor games and animation, tennis courts, nearby golf and an extensive secluded beach frontage for long romantic walks.

Mount Lavinia Hotel Amenities

• Direct dial phone
  • Salon
  • Fitness Facilities
  • Massage
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower
  • Child Pool
  • Pool Outdoor
  • Games Available
  • Shops in Hotel

Related Travel Blogs About Mount Lavinia Hotel

Peter Falk wouldn't be impressed
Arriving into Colombo, Sri Lanka's biggest city, felt like the start of mini-trip for me. The past few days were nice, skipping through a few places, but this was my destination and where my sub-cont…Mount Lavinia Hotel, so I just had a beer and curry at my hotel (LKR300/£1.60/$3). I probably…
Colombo: The same madcap city as before!
ANDREI - It's been a couple of years since the last trip here, but Colombo remains the same - a central district of rising office blocks, enclosed by district upon district of densely packed, lo…Mount Lavinia Hotel.  This was most convenient and we can't thank my uncle enough for his support…
Mount Lavinia Hotel
We spend a day at the hotel having breakfast, walking on the beach and just chill. We laze around at the decks taking in the smell of the ocean and the sun. There is signage on the beach that shows … We spend a day at the hotel having breakfast, walking on the beach and just chill. We laze around at…

Check Mount Lavinia Hotel Rates and Deals