Mount Kenya

Mount Kenya National Park, Kenya

Mount Kenya Mount Kenya National Park Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
Climbing Africa's Second highest Peak Mar 12, 2005
Mount Kenya is Africa's Second highest peak after Kilimanjaro, also known as Africa's "other Roof". Located in Mount Kenya National Park, it is a perfect mountain for the amateur climber. It is the highest mountain in Kenya, a pride for the Kenyan People and an a tourism attraction. For the avid mountain climber, this is a 4 day climb in and out. It is categorized as a strato volcano which means it was formed by the opening of larger gaps in the earth's crust (the rift valley). For thousands of years covered in Ice, the erosion process has caused a white layer of rock at it's peak: Batian.

Mount Kenya National Park is a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve that became part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997. The population around the park constitutes mostly the Kikuyu people and they are agriculturalists.

There are various itineraries for climbing mount Kenya. The most popular one is the Batian Route which takes you to the summit. Other routes include:

1. The Mount Kenya Route

2. The Chagoria Route

3. The Lenana Route

Recommended items to bring:

1) Warm clothing because at a little of 10,000 feet it gets cold.

2) Other warming gear like rain coats, warm hats, gloves, socks, O' my god please do not forget to carry socks, your feet will turn black, I mean really black. I'm already black, can you see my feet turning black? well they did.

3) Some altitude sickness medication, lip balm and sunscreen if you have delicate skin: O yeah it does get hot up there and the sun will burn you even at that altitute.

4) A camera and plenty of memory sticks or films if you are using the traditional cameras. Peter and I lost our camera at about 9,000 feet. We never made it to the peak, I could not continue.

5) A little training in rock climbing, hiking long hours, running would make the climb much easier and more enjoyable.

Related Travel Blogs About Mount Kenya

Mount Kenya National Park
One of my few not so good adventures was Mount Kenya . . . Peter dared me to climb the mountain with him and I stupidly took him up on it. It had been two years since I had Climbed Kilimanjaro and Rw… One of my few not so good adventures was Mount Kenya . . . Peter dared me to climb the mountain…
Climb up Mt Kenya
For my dad's 70th Birthday I took him to Africa for 3 weeks.  I am not sure ware scared me more:  The food, the climb up 17,000 feet or 3 weeks alone with my dad!  All in all it turned… For my dad's 70 th Birthday I took him to Africa for 3 weeks.  I am not sure…
Hell;s Gate National Park in Kenya
Kenya safaris and Holiday, Tanzania Safaris and Holiday, Trekking in Mount Kenya and KilimanjaroWhile planning your Kenya safari, try and include Hell's Gate National park in Naivasha. I went there…Mount Kenya and Kilimanjaro While planning your Kenya safari, try and include Hell's Gate National park

Check Mount Kenya National Park Hotel Deals