Moti Mohal

17th Avenue, Calgary, Canada

Moti Mohal Calgary Reviews

ladyluck13and7 ladyluck…
Ouch. But my mommy told me I was special!!!! Jul 20, 2010
This restaurant is definitely not a landmark on 17th ave, but it possesses a strong presence, mainly due to its pungent odor. You can smell it a block away. Its like the trying-very-hard-to-be-hot girl at the party who piled on too much perfume; not necessarily unpleasant, but hardly attractive. It sounds tasty, but really I'd describe it as a smog of East Indian cuisine fallout.

When I walked through the door, I was very impressed with the decor. The color scheme, lighting, ambiance and fabrics were well chosen. My apartment looks like 2 cuts above an Alcatraz cell, so this inspired me somewhat to get a brightly colored rug fake persian rug.

So now we get to the service....

I'm a friendly person, and I like to think I give people a reason to give me good service. I suffered too long in the service industry to not treat people with kindness and respect.

I read some other reviews, speaking about the excellent service offered at Moti Mohal, but frankly, it wasn't the case when I went.

We (my fiancee and I) were seated by the hostess. It was a window seat. We were settled and happy. We had water and a menu.

A lady, who I presumed to be the owner, told me to move tables, since that section needed to be cleaned up and closed for the evening. We were not hindering their ability to clean other tables, so it was not a reasonable request, and we were told in a rude tone, with no eye contact or apology. She may have well have told me to F*** off the way she spoke to us.

So I moved.

And we ordered some food. I don't exactly recall what it was, but I am under the impression, spice, chicken, beef and rice were involved. Why? Because the server was rushing us through the meal. They kept looking at us, looking at the time, asking us if we were done. I understand I did come at a later time, however, it did leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I didn't feel like a customer, I felt like I was an intruder. I wanted to ask if they had called the cops to report I was trespassing.

The bill came to 70 bucks for 2.

Way too much for rushed service and food I don't even remember.

To be fair it has been voted best Indian restaurant in the city for a while.

Oh well
RyanCorrea says:
A Moti Well the one here pretty much is a carbon copy of what you just described....and the food isin't anything to write home about either!
Posted on: Jan 31, 2011
ladyluck13and7 says:
Oh in theory we can also not tip them, but in reality we're way too nice not too. Im sure there's a douche somewhere in northern alberta that's enough of a bastard not to though.
Posted on: Aug 03, 2010
londonstudent says:
I hope you didn't leave a tip. In London (England) the 10% service charge is very common, and although in theory it's voluntary, in practice you can't really refuse to pay it unless the staff gang-bang you in the toilets, or similar.
Posted on: Aug 03, 2010