Mother's Restaurant

(504) 523-9656

Mother's Restaurant New Orleans Reviews

ahtibat17 ahtibat17
Overrated Feb 28, 2011
I thought Mother's was one of THE places to eat while in New Orleans. I wasn't overly impressed.

Mother's is located on Poydras Street. Upon entering, a man gave us a menu, told us to order at the counter and go sit down. Okay. There was a line at the counter, and it still wasn't enough time to look over the menu. You almost need to know what you want before you get there. The gal behind the register is a little impatient, and almost unwilling to answer questions. After sitting, a waiter will come to your table and claim your receipt to deliver your food to you.

Mother's is known for their baked ham, so I ordered a baked ham po'boy. The sandwich was $10, but it was HUGE. The ham had a velvety texture; the sandwich was really good, with coleslaw and dill pickles on it. The bread was nice and chewey.

Would I recommend Mother's? Sure. But, there are so many different places to eat in New Orleans that I wouldn't put it as the number one priority.
checking out the menu
ham po'boy
seangee seangee
Good Eats Dec 27, 2009
My friends and I woke up hungry and hung over after a long night in the Big Easy. We hit the streets looking for breakfast to cure what ailed us. There was a tourism booth on the corner so we asked the nice lady where we could score some high quality breakfast, she said, "Go to Mothers", as if there was no other choice. So we did. Upon enterring we were immediately confused, the scene was pretty hectic. They roll "cafeteria style" so you grab a tray, get in line, and order as you walk down the line. This is where we got our first taste of a southern breakfast (all us were from the north), we tried to order bacon- didn't have it, tried to order hash browns- didn't have them. I went with the eggs, toast, grits, and andouille sausage. The food was great and so was the service. If you choose to check this place out you will be in for a good experience.
thaitravelor66 thaitrav…
great food Jan 24, 2009
This is a great place to try different types of new orleans cuisine. Not too exspensive for the area. If you like fried foods then Mother's is heaven from fried chicken to Po'boys (a sandwich with fried fish and hoagie roll) Many locals eat there. Great place to share a table with a stranger and just talk. Also serve breakfast foods. Must try the grits, jambalaya, gumbo and shrimp creole.Great place to get collard greens and sweet potato.
sybil sybil
Long lines, surly service, great chicken May 03, 2008
A new orleans institution, the line to eat at this diner was ridiculously long. don't come here too hungry because you will be very very cranky after waiting in line about 40 minutes. at the same time, don't come here full either because you will need a large stomach to eat all the food they serve.

we ordered the 1/2 fried chicken served fresh with crunchy skin, and tender and moist meat. the cabbage and turnip greens were also good. the fried shrimps were also good. the red beans and rice were a bit spicy. the biscuit was not too exciting (not warm and not flakey).

while the food was pretty yummy (albeit sinful), my main gripe about this place was the service. the servers were a bit surly - they almost forgot our biscuit. the people next to us, one of them did not get served until (i hope) after we left while his friends all finished their meal. also, because some patrons were cutting through the long lines outside by entering through the exit door, the employees decided to lock the exit door -- which could be a fire code violation. but, because this was a diner, and not a fine dining establishment, i give them a pass on the service.
the front of the line
back of the line
the turnip greens and rice and bea…
biscuit with strawberry jam
RuttiTootie says:
awwww missed it... maybe next time?
Posted on: May 07, 2008
vances says:
I love Mother's and the long lines always moved quickly for us...but maybe because I've only ever gone there for breakfast!
Posted on: May 07, 2008
reina216 reina216
Food to Just Die For May 25, 2008
I can't remember how much the food was, because in all honesty I did not pay. A few of us from the hostel I was staying at decided to go eat. It happened that one of the guys was a tour guide of some sorts and knew of this place. While in line we met a couple, a loner, and two firemen who ended dining with us at the same table. And the firemen payed for my meal!!! Free food is always awesome. But anyhow, I've never tasted food so delicious. For the first time I tried Crawfish Etouffee, Po'Boys, Gumbo, Grits, Jambalaya, and Shrimp Creole. All the authentic southern food anyone should ever want to try.

The restaurant was so laid back and casual. And I just had a blast along with a wonderful meal.
ehancy ehancy
Jan 27, 2008
If you are looking for a local non-chain restaurant, Mother's should definitely be on your list of places to eat. Be sure you go there hungry, though, because their portions are very filling!

The aroma of Cajun cooking greets you as soon as you open the door, which makes deciding what to eat a little difficult. There is a large selection of mouth-watering dishes on their menu, from sandwiches to the traditional Cajun meals.

For lunch (meal #1), I decided to try the Roast Beef Po Boy and a cup of Split Pea Soup. The Po Boy was larger than a foot-long Subway Sandwich...and I didn't get the full size! This was very delicious, but the Soup was unbelievable. I have never had a better cup of Split Pea Soup in my life (yep, better than that canned Campbell's by a long shot). There were large chunks of succulent ham that added so much flavor to the soup. And, yes, I finished every bite of this meal!

A few days later, I went back for breakfast (meal #2). I decided to be a little daring this time, so I ordered the Cajun Shrimp Omlette. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, but I had never had seafood for breakfast before...and I quickly came to the conclusion that I cannot eat seafood that early in the morning. However, the meal also came grits and two large homemade biscuits. These were superb! I tried to limit myself to one biscuit...but before I knew it, there wasn't a single crumb left. After the biscuits disappeared, I could only get through about half of the grits before I was completely full again.

I was only in New Orleans for a short time on business, but I wanted to mention that everyone I came across was extremely friendly. From the person working in the parking booth at the airport to the people working behind the counter at Mother's - there was always a smile to be found. I know there is still a lot of work to be done in that city, but the Southern Hospitality is still alive and strong...it was a very heartwarming sight.
X_Drive X_Drive
Great Southern Cooking! Apr 22, 2008
Since 1938 this historic downtown eatery has been dishing out some of the best Po’ Boys, Gumbo, and seafood creole, along with a lengthy list of other great foods on their menu. And it doesn’t matter what time of day you are there, Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner you will find something delicious. This no hi-class, come dressed in tails type place. Here you will find fishermen in their boots, mechanics in their overalls and any business person ready for a good meal. Go here to enjoy the food and possibly see a famous person who may have dropped in for a meal. If you are not familiar with what all they serve, ask somebody because once you get in line you'd better be ready to order when you reach the front of the long line. Great Stuff!

Check New Orleans Hotel Deals