Motel 168 Beiguan

Check Xi'an Hotel Deals

Motel 168 Beiguan Xi'an Reviews

Biedjee Biedjee
An 'interesting' place to stay Oct 28, 2010
The night before I travelled on the train from Lhasa to Xi'an I realised I didn't have a place to stay yet in Xi'an. Unaware of the excellent hostels that can be found in most Chinese cities, I booked the Motel 168 via the Internet. It was cheap (12 euros for a single), had good reviews and was located near the train station, which would come in handy since my train arrived late in the evening.

Only once I got there did I realise Motel 168 is in fact a chain, which can be found all over China. It's seems to cater mainly for business travellers and as such it comes with all the expected mod cons: A/C, TV, Internet (wired), large bathroom, fridge, freebies like soap, shampoo, hair comb and tooth brush.

I said it caters for business travellers, but what I meant was business men. On the desk there is a display of some items which are not for free, but can be bought for RMB 10: a razor, men's socks, men's underwear, towels in two sizes, condoms in two flavours, and liquid soap especially design for men's genetalia. What about items for women, one might wonder...

The restaurant at the top floor is surprisingly good. While you can give the breakfast a miss (despite being a steal at RMB 10) the dish I had for dinner was truly excellent!

So for a single nights' stay in Xi'an, this is definitely a nice option. Service might be a bit impersonal (and not much English is spoken) and I am sure that for atmosphere and location the hostels near the Bell Tower will be a better option. Their single rooms will probably cost more though, and won't have the same amenities.
My room
My room
Strange extras for sale here!
Bathroom
sylviandavid says:
Really nice review.... actually a cute room...the price was good at 12 Euros .... it looks modern and comfortable.
Posted on: Apr 16, 2012