Moss Park

(407) 254-6840

Moss Park Orlando Reviews

Cho Cho
Kayaking in Moss Park Jun 20, 2013
My first trip to Moss Park was in December 2011. This huge 1500 acre park is located about a 45 minute drive from downtown Orlando. That first time we checked out all the available facilities and recreational activities with the intention of coming back there again in the future.

Two Sundays ago, on June 9th we loaded our kayaks in our open pickup, and went to the park again. It was a beautiful sunny day, ideal for going around Lake Mary Jane which frames the park with another lake called Lake Hart. We wanted to explore Bird Island in the middle of the lake to watch the wood storks nesting there. Egrets, ibises, herons and other migratory birds (I was told nearly 100 different species) are also known to inhabit the island.

It was my first time kayaking but I suppose, due to beginner's luck I had a fairly easy time using the paddle and made it to the island in about 10 minutes. The only difficulty I encountered was when I wanted to take photos, and keeping the kayak still in the water. Also, I was worried about my camera falling into the lake. The island is surrounded by marshes on one side, so navigating through the reeds can be a bit tricky for a first timer like myself.

The water of the lake was surprisingly warm, and I took a dip in it with my life jacket on. I am a reasonably good swimmer so I didn't even need the jacket and the shore was not that far away, so I could have made it back to land even without the life vest.

After we got back to the shore we took a break at one of the picnic tables of which there is an abundance all over the park. While we were sitting a couple of sandhill cranes came to visit us. I recall that on our first trip they also came near us, and I wondered if they were the same birds.

Besides kayaking there are two boat ramps for boating on the two lakes, plus a swimming area along Lake Mary Jane. Other amenities include picnic spots with grills, RV (recreational vehicle) and trailer sites, a multi-purpose field for sand volleyball and other sports, and a playground for children too. There is also a campground, and I believe one can also rent a tent for camping

If you are into nature walks there are hiking trails all over the park where one can come across wildlife such as deer, wild turkey, armadillos, raccoons and squirrels.

The Park admission fees are $3 per vehicle for 1-2 people, and $5 per vehicle for 3-8 people which is quite reasonable for spending a fun day at this multi-recreational park.
Entrance sign at the park
Sandhill crane
Another one coming to visit
Coming closer....
Cho says:
Helen, you're right, Although it was a weekend there weren't that many people at this park.
Posted on: Jun 19, 2013
HelenP says:
Cho, can't believe how few people there seemed to be at this lovely park.
Posted on: Jun 18, 2013
Cho says:
Martin, thanks and yes, it was a nice day out there in the park. Nowadays I'm doing a lot of things which I never had time to do in the past.
Posted on: Jun 18, 2013