Morwellham Quay

Tavistock, England

Morwellham Quay Tavistock Reviews

davidx davidx
Historic site of much industry - now perfect peace. Nov 16, 2010
The website given concludes with funds for Morwellham Quay Museum being withdrawn in 2009. However other websites, including its own, show it still open and active.

I lived in Plymouth as a boy, the place where vast quantities of ore and metal were brought from Morwellham. My parents were keen on anything of htis nature and encouraged me to be. Yet I was well into my teens before I ever heard of the place and I was by no means alone. This was as tranquil a spot as you can well imagine.

In the 1840s the situation could hardly have been more different. At this time Devon and Cornwall were among the most important centres of metal mining in England and most of what was extracted had to reach the sea port of Plymouth. Road transport in the area was, of course hopelessly inadequate and the Tamar was the only navigable route by water. hence Morwellham with convenient access from Dartmoor and much of Cornwall was an extremely busy transport hub, even before metal was actually found there.

Clearly a lot has been done to develop the museum further since I was there and you are better looking at the website - but I bet you won't regret doing so or visiting Morwellham if you get the chance!

Check Tavistock Hotel Deals