Morning Star Resort Koh Phangan
Check Koh Phangan Hotel Deals
Morning Star Resort Koh Phangan Reviews
The Only Review You Need. Dec 28, 2010
After being attacked by the countless taxi's at the port, we made it to the hotel which was located literally in the middle of knowhere. It was a couple kilometers from anything other than empty dark roads and the occasional thai farm. This made it difficult to go anywhere without renting a scooter and risking getting the Koh Phangan tattoo (giant road rash scar very common to tourists who ride scooters here).
We were lucky and got the bungalow next to the water. It had large windows that overlooked nothing but sand and water and a palm tree. Very nice view for sure. The bungalow was very small and the beds were designed to rack up as many bruised shins as possible.
The bathroom was decent, modern design with an actually working and stocked shower. The open air holes went against the anti-bug reason we booked the place, but it wasn't too bad, although we did hear stories of others not so lucky.
The bed... Like most thai beds it would be considered a box spring in North America, or as we deemed it - slightly better than sleeping on a rock. I had bruised hips from the thai hotel beds, this one added to it. The one problem that was different was that we were given a double bed and a single size sheet. Basically the sheet was big enough for one person to use it at a time, it didn't even cover the top of the bed without anyone under it. We mentioned it to the front desk and she shrugged her shoulders in the typical non-caring way thai people do to any complaint. They already have your money, why do anything else for you...
Lastly, if those lizards bother you, beware of this place. Hundreds of them surround the entrance and dozens are in the room. They are pretty afraid of people, but it sometimes gets creepy when the lights are out and you can hear them running inches from your face.
Pool and Beach Area:
The beach is nice. Empty and comes with its own random dogs. The loungers on the beach are also nice but are always covered in bird crap that was not cleaned the entire time we were there.
There was a volleyball net and a bar, neither were used the entire 6 days we stayed here. The bar would have been, but it was never staffed.
The pool was actually very nice, and cold. Definitely a highlight of this hotel. The grounds were also very nice and well maintained by the one guy we seen raking basically the entire resort daily.
Pretty typical. A few tables, pool table, and large speaker system constantly repeating the same 5 techno songs over and over and over.
The Thai food served here was decent. Nothing special for sure. The pasta's were actually the best we had in Thailand. The club sandwich was also very good. Beer prices were decent at 100 baht for a large Singha (2 pints).
Service from Staff:
Not sure where to start here, so in random order here is our dealings with the staff that were noteworthy.
- While enjoying some beers on the beach with my wife the security guard walked to the tree only feet away from us and took a piss. What a romantic evening that was. *complete sarcasm*
- Gai (pronounced Guy) appeared to be the person to help you get things done on the island. She gave advice on what to do and how to do it. The first few days there she was very friendly and nice. Then the night of the full moon party we purchased our 3rd bucket of whiskey and coke and my wife handed her a 500 baht bill. The bucket was 250 baht. So we expected 250 baht change. We got 50 baht back so my wife politely pointed it out. Gai's reaction was to begin swearing at my wife, calling her a liar, saying other rude profanities at her. For the sake of 200 baht we weren't going to get involved, we told her to not worry about it just to get rid of her. We discussed this after the fact and weren't sure if she was trying to play us because she thought we were drunk and unaware of what we gave her, or if she legitimately thought she was right. In either case her reaction was completely over the top and even more unacceptable. I tried to speak to the owner the next day but he didn't understand a word of english.
- After the incident with Gai, we noticed on every single bill we paid at that restaurant that we were short changed every time. It was the blonde lady who short changed us every time, but when we would ask for the proper change she would be quick to return it. Service completely dropped off after that incident and was very awkward and uncomfortable.
Tips and Information:
- The pre-purchased tickets for taxi's to the full moon party work and are easy to use. Well worth it to avoid the hassle. You can buy those from the front desk.
- The pre-full moon party at the resort is simply turning up those same 5 techno songs to annoying levels and selling buckets. Not worth sticking around for if you don't have to.
- There is a sign at the front desk saying no outside food or drinks in your room or you will be fined. Pretty stupid, we did it anyway and wouldn't have paid a "fine" if it was given.
- There are beach towels in addition to your shower towels. Our room wasn't given them the first three days, we eventually got some after our room was cleaned.
- There is 2 english channels. Al Jazeera news, and RT (Russian) News. So if you have a sick day like I did, prepare to read or be bored.
- Avoid scooters. Everyone seems to ride them and everyone seemed to be bandaged from wiping out. The roads are not good, the taxi's are pretty careless and wreckless, and the scooters are dodgy at best. We seen too many people returning to the hotel with the Koh Phangan tattoo and decided we didn't want one.
If I Ran This Place:
1. Beach loungers would be wiped down every morning before guests began using them.
2. Staff would be instantly fired if they spoke to a paying guest that way, whether they were right or wrong.
3. The bar on the beach would be staffed and stocked with icy cold drinks.
4. If I was too cheap to get more channels, I would provide a DVD player like most other thai hotels.
5. Give the groundskeeper a raise.
6. Fire any staff who used the bathroom in front of guests.
1 / 1 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
STAR***** Jan 13, 2010
good place to realax, party, etc..:D everything.. 10 mins to full moon, 2 min to black moon:) was here with my good friend Rune, and we really had a good time, the staff is soo nice! GOOD service! the location is perfeck on Baan tai, 10 min from Thongsala with bike, 5 min to haad rin, and nice realaxed people:) they tried to cheer me up on my birthday (14.01), drove me to thongsala,haad rin, then haadson. where we had a great massasje:D later ther was big party on the beach:D Catus bar, and anotherone right by:)they fix'd eveything!
Part of the thailand whith rune 2010!!!:P travel blog
Morning Star Resort - Koh Phangan - Thailand Mar 10, 2009
Morning Star Resort is a party resort for party people in the heart of party action on Koh Phangan - the home of the full moon party.
Situated ten minutes drive from Haad Rin (the full moon party beach) and five minutes from the half moon Morning Star is a great place to stay if you don't want to get too much rest. Having said that it is a lot quietr than Haad Rin and so sleep can be had once th batteries have worn out.
The bungalows are very modern thai style with really funky interiors and all new fixtures and fittings. The beach is beautiful and the pool is huge.
1 / 1 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy
Morning Star Resort Koh Phangan Overview
This hotel is found in the Baan Tai area on the beach. The Morning Star Resort Koh Phangan is nearby many popular tourist attractions but still in a relatively secluded area. This hotel is found at 17/7, Moo 4,T. Ban Tai in Koh Phangan, Thailand. The Morning Star Resort Koh Phangan is just 500 meters from the famous the Halfmoon party location and ten minutes away from the famous Full Moon Party. The airport is also a short drive away.
Guests at the Morning Star Resort Koh Phangan can expect a TV with cable or satellite channels and a DVD player. Guests can expect a private bathroom but with a shower only (no tub). Decor style is modern and elegant, complementary to the tropical setting.
Amenities include an on-site restaurant, an exterior swimming pool and a private beach. There is a free breakfast served every morning. Guests can also look forward to a disco room, a private terrace area and a front desk service. The Morning Star Resort Koh Phangan has standard amenities appropriate for this class of hotel.
Morning Star Resort Amenities