Jiquilillo, Nicaragua

Monty's Surf Camp Jiquilillo Reviews

Chokk Chokk
You can't get closer to the beach May 18, 2010
We had gotten ourselves all the way to the pacific coastline at the small fishing village at Playa Jiquilillo and we checked some of the hostels for a night stay at the small beach. Most of the places were quite empty and very primitive; well for me they were way too primitive, it might have worked if I was in different mood anyway.

Monty's Surf Camp turned out to be brick built bungalows just next to the water and a much better quality place than the other places in the area; it was also far more expensive than the others, but I felt like it was worth it anyway; they charged 55$ a night which were a fortune here in this region and they had just adjusted their prices upwards compared to the Lonely Planet with 20 percent. Just for comparison some of the other places were as low as 8$ a night.

The sound from the Pacific was spectacular and calming, the day we were there no music was played and you could only hear the sea and the birds; it was what I had longed for after 3 days in the mountains, the sound of water on a beach can really relax me.

The rooms were really nice rustic and still cozy; there were no air condition what you might have expected at this price, but we were in an area that was quite isolated. My room was otherwise kept in yellow with dark wood; two queen size beds and a fan standing on the floor and able just to circle the air in the room. The door to the room was a double door and if I kept it open I could be in the bed and look at the water.

The bathroom was large and really nice, much better than I had seen in days and days. There was a real toilet which was not the case in the other places we visited at Playa Jiquilillo.

There are very few rooms at the hotel; to my best guess 10-12 and 3 people were taken care of us in the evening and during the day. When we were there; there was only one other person beside us. It might be of season but I had expected that there would be more.

One of the 3 persons taking care of us was Elvi, who is the cook and a good one too; he was also the guy in charge when the owners were not there. The evening he had asked us what time we wanted to eat and what we wanted and we had booked for 8 pm and we wanted fish. The fish was great and sitting there listening to the water and looking out in the dark was truly calm and relaxing.

Next morning he was there as well as we got and then he also made a great omelette and some nice fresh fruit juice.

In the morning I woke up quite early; it had rained heavily during the night and I had gotten up to follow the light show over the water; there were thunder and lightning everywhere for more than an hour. The air was fresh and it was nice to have light wind and the temperature a little bit below 30 degrees Celsius. The beach was empty besides some few birds and a boy playing football; it was great.
Monty's Surf Camp
One of the two beds I had in my ro…
The fresh fish
The double doors
Chokk says:
@Jeff; I was in heaven, and I was not in the mood for staying in a bamboo hut with a toilet that was a wooden board with saw dust:)
I was prepared to pay - and it was the best view I ever had for 55$ ;)
Glynnes says:
Its definitely close to the beach. Thanks for a great review.
jennjeff1 says:
$55 a night for a hostel brik bungalo when others were $8 a night? Plus you gave it still 4 of 5 for value....?

Related Travel Blogs About Monty's Surf Camp

Mental/Spiritual/Physical Health Week
Well, I officially quit school to surf bum in Costa Rica!!!! Hah, NOT! I just decided that I needed some "me" time to do what I really want to do; surf. So Tuesday morning, I hopped on the 6am bus to…Monty's Surf Camp in Jiquilillo. I am going to be giving surf instruction/bartending/translating (yikies!), and doing other odd jobs…
Monty's Surf Camp
I don't even know how to explain the last two and a half weeks in Jiquilillo, Nica. Monty's Surf Lodge was so beautiful. Literally right on the beach with some of the kindest, funniest, and most perv…I don't even know how to explain the last two and a half weeks in Jiquilillo, Nica. Monty's…
Jiquilillo Map