Montmartre

Montmartre, Paris, France

Montmartre Paris Reviews

Bojasem Bojasem
nice place to relax Nov 01, 2012
Montmartre (French pronunciation: [mɔ̃.maʁtʁ]) is a hill in the north of Paris, France. It is 130 metres high and gives its name to the surrounding district, in the 18th arrondissement, a part of the Right Bank. Montmartre is primarily known for the white-domed Basilica of the Sacré Cœur on its summit and as a nightclub district. The other, older, church on the hill is Saint Pierre de Montmartre, which claims to be the location at which the Jesuit order of priests was founded. Many artists had studios or worked around the community of Montmartre such as Salvador Dalí, Amedeo Modigliani, Claude Monet, Piet Mondrian, Pablo Picasso and Vincent van Gogh. Montmartre is also the setting for several hit films. This site is served by metro line 2 stations of Anvers, Pigalle and Blanche and the line 12 stations of Pigalle, Abbesses, Lamarck - Caulaincourt and Jules Joffrin.

Montmartre big area in Paris in good location for eat cakes

and drink coffee.

excellent night life if you are looking for nightlife.
beachblondii beachblo…
A sunny day in Montmartre Apr 20, 2011
What a great day! Think the weather made this day in Montmartre special too. 25 degrees and sunny! A really busy and bustling place which was teeming with people, but had the best atmosphere. Once you get up the top and see the beautiful and much cleaner than last time I was there, Sacre Coeur church, it is a wonderful walk then through the streets of artists, cafes, souvenir shops and galleries. I got sucked in this time into having my portrait sketched by a very lovely friendly French guy, Antoine. The standard phrase....if you don't like it you don't have to buy it is heard echoing through the streets, and it is true you don't have to buy the sketch afterwards, but they will try their best to convince you and if you are female ask you out on a date that evening. My friend and I managed to get our sketches for 30 euros which was probably overpriced but I figured worth it, because he made me look so good! :) What made me laugh most though was that as soon as we had bought our sketch, another man (no doubt a friend of Antoine's) came along to sell us a container for our sketch for 3 euros. Guess they have to make their cash somehow. Lunch at a gorgeous little cafe was the highlight though of the day and the 14 euro menu deal was quite a good one we thought considering the location (the 7 euro drink of Coca cola though was a bit much I thought!). I would highly recommend a trip to Sacre Coeur and Montmartre if you want to soak up some of that parisian artistic atmosphere. Montmartre is easy to reach via metro (Anvers stop) and if you don't mind mingling with lots of other people, is entertaining and most definitely worth a visit.
efincher0812 efincher…
Montmartre, a gem amidst the hustle and bustle of Paris May 23, 2009
I had 5 nights and 4 days to explore Paris! Needless to say, I was trying to pack as much in as I could. (Which, by the way, is the absolute wrong way to tour Paris!) I got so caught up in the hustle and bustle of the city that I had completely lost touch with the spirit of the City. (There's a reason that most Parisians don't like Americans and it's because they feel like we are trying to experience all things French in a limited amount of time...It's just not possible.)

But if you really want to experience the Parisian spirit, plan on spending at least one entire day in Montmartre (be prepared to walk your tush off!) From the Artist's market and one of Oscar Wilde's favorite Cafe's to the winding streets to the magnificent architecture and historical pertinence of La Sacre Coeur church, Montmartre is truly one of the unpolluted gems in Paris. Don't get me wrong, you'll find tourists there; however, the distance from the center of the city detracts some from making the trek. It is well worth your time.
travelman727 says:
Ellie, thanks for your terrific review! I'm looking forward to spending time in Montmartre this August :-D
Posted on: Apr 03, 2011
Eric says:
Thanks for sharing your review! :)
Posted on: Jan 12, 2011
ailema15 ailema15
Awesome and free view, and a great artsy ambiance! Dec 25, 2009
The hood,is the place. Specially at night with some friends. Local bands and artists walk around the place, but specially around the stairs in front of the Sacre Coer Basilica.

It's super touristy, but it's certainly the best view of the city you can get for free, and you get to hear some awesome band for free as well.

At night is a great place to go with a bottle of good wine and some friends and just sit and watch the lights. After all, you're in the city of lights.

Don't forget to walk down to Pigalle. It's best if you walk up and down the side stairs, they're something special. I prefer to get there through that Metro Station, Pigalle. It just has a different feel, like every single Paris arrondisement.

If you feel like, walk to Moulin Rouge and take a photo. Try the toasted Chategnes and enjoy life. But do not enter any of the bars or restaurants in the area unless you're a millionaire and have nothing better to do.
zitkin says:
Thanks, i will certainly do it!
Posted on: Jun 27, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Montmartre

Final nights in Paris
This is it. We're now wrapping up our extra-extended vacation in Europe. What better place to finish it all off than the most famous of European cities, Paris! After our last day of hiking in Mont Bl…Paris, our last day in Europe. We took a trip to Montmartre, the funky neighbourhood on a hill on Paris
Basilique du Sacré Coeur & Place du Tertre
When visiting Paris the Basilique du Sacré Coeur is a must to see. Situated on the hills of Montmartre overviewing Paris the view from it, is perhaps just as impressing as the inside. The Sacr…Paris the Basilique du Sacré Coeur is a must to see. Situated on the hills of Montmartre overviewing Paris the view…
Montmartre & Sacré Cœur
Today we venture on our own. Geared with a métro map, we head for Montmartre. The Paris métro is complex but not anymore complicated to take than the MTR of Hong Kong. After all, with no fixed r…Montmartre . The Paris métro is complex but not anymore complicated to take than the MTR of Hong Kong. After all, with…

Check Paris Hotel Deals