Monterey Fish House

(831) 373-4647

Monterey Fish House Reviews

missandrea81 missandr…
Seafood galore. Reservation needed! Jul 25, 2016
Husband and I had heard about this place from friends and read some amazing reviews, so we had to check it out for ourselves.

Well, to begin with, you may want to make reservations even if you're only a party of two. Believe me, you'll wait regardless, but a quick call ahead may get you through the door quicker. This place is always packed.

We were seated about 15 minutes after our initial reservation time. We waited outside since the place doesn't offer too much space for you to wait indoors.

Despite the hubbub the place has a cosy feel to it. We were seated with 3 other people at a corner table. No big deal we were just happy to be seated at all.

We ordered fried calamari and oysters as appetizers. The calamari arrived first. I've had better (see Cosmo Grill in VA). Hubby's oysters arrived with some delay, but they were HUGE in size. He said he had a hard time eating them, because he is used to shooting them down without much chewing. LOL To me the whole idea is gross, but if you're looking for HUGE oysters, this is your place. The people next to us had the fried oysters, and they said they were divine.

Our main courses had the same side dishes (pasta and veggies with pesto). I had the snapper and hubby had halibut from the "specials" the waiter had cited for us when we were first seated.

It seemed like both fish had been sitting under a heat lamp for a while. It was late in the evening, but I found it odd that a fish restaurant would let their main course get dry.

I guess we'll have to give it another try in a few months, but for now I cannot give more than 4 stars for this place.

The wait staff gets 5 stars, very on point and helpful with suggestions.
Fried calamari
Oysters
Snapper
Halibut
Vikram says:
Congrats!!
missandrea81 says:
Thank you very much! :D Nice surprise.
Zagnut66 says:
Congrats on being featured Andrea!
X_Drive X_Drive
Probably the best seafood in Monterey. Apr 16, 2012
A local fast food manager told us about this place when we asked for a nice fish dinner in Monterey where locals eat, in other words, not a tourist trap. He told us that it is not a big or new place, rather an old converted home and so rather small. In fact, they have no inside area for waiting. For that reason he suggested that we get reservations ahead of time as it does get full pretty every night. They are open for lunch Mon thru Fri 11:30am til 2:30 pm and for dinner from 5pm til 9:30 pm daily. There is a bar area but they only serve beer or wine. The tables were very close together but covered by nice white linen cloths and they use fine linen napkins, stemware, and good silverware. The young waiter that came to our table was knowledgeable of their offerings and covered the specials of the day which he explained changed daily based of today’s catch. A young lady brought water and a basket of fresh sliced French bread and small dish of individually wrapped butter. The staff was diligent in keeping our water glasses and coffee full.

Meals run from $14 to $21, and a bottle of wine from $16 to $60 with glasses at 1/4th, so they are quite reasonable.

My wife ordered the Calamari Steak, which they served lightly breaded and oak grilled with fresh vegetables and pasta. I ordered the Swordfish, which I ordered oak grilled, and it also was served with fresh vegetables and pasta. We both had coffee with our meal. We were both totally pleased with our choices and enjoyed the meal. We haven’t had that good a meal out in a really long time. So very easy to rate this as five stars.
Exterior
Sign out front
Dinner Menu
Basket of bread and tray of butter.
missandrea81 says:
We were kind of disappointed when we finally got reservations to eat here last week. Maybe they had an off day, but our fish seemed like it had been sitting under a heat lamp for a bit.
Posted on: Jul 25, 2016