2 Oudeschans, Amsterdam, Netherlands
020 201 8800

Montelbaanstoren Amsterdam Reviews

X_Drive X_Drive
Beautiful antiquity May 16, 2005
On the canal tour we had of Amsterdam we were given the pleasure of seeing many of the wonderful sights of the city, and of course I took many pictures along the way of things that caught my eye and the tour guide was talking about. One of the eye catching shots I took was recently identified and I felt it a good chance to help others with knowing about it. Montelbaanstoren, was built in 1512 on the bank of canal Oudeschans as a portion of the protective wall that was erected to defend the city. This tower was used as a guard tower. In 1606 the upper portion was added with its decorative sections and clock. It soon became known as Malle Jaap or Silly Jack, because of the mechanical unreliability caused the bells to ring at odd times or even not for days at all. Historians also claim that sailors would meet here before taking off for far away lands. In recent years the building housed the offices of another water-related endeavor – Amsterdam’s Department of Sewage and Water Management which regulated the inflow and levels of the canals.
Not my own photo.