Monte Casino bird gardens

011 511 1864

Monte Casino bird gardens Johannesburg Reviews

SoloSister SoloSist…
A delightful surprise Oct 11, 2008
The plan was to go spend the day at the Zoo, which it turned out had some festival going with tons and tons of buses. Not being in the mood to push and shove my way through the place, we opted for an alternative.

The Bird Gardens at Montecasino was a delightful surprise, the entry fee was R35 per adult (a little steep) but worth it. I had expected (from what I heard) to see purely a myriad of birds but there was so much more.

A lovely cafe welcomed you into the sanctuary and the scenery invited you to sit and have a snack while you marvel at the beautiful creatures around you.

The most surprising thing was that there were not only birds but an array of small mammals, reptiles and fish to oogle at... A mini zoo, if you like - turtles, lemurs, mongoose, frogs, snakes, etc.

You're allowed to go into all the bird cages and can even buy food to find the lovely birds. The main garden had all kinds and colours of parrots freely roaming which was spectular for adding contrast to the lush green backgrounds.

There is free face painting for the kids and they have daily bird shows in the amphitheathre - which I missed - but have heard many good things about. It's all about the birdies doing all kinds of tricks and showing off... Will catch it next time and tell you more.

It's nicely structed, well laid out and a good alternative to the Zoo. I plan to go back soon but this time I'm taking my hat cause the sun beat down like there was no tomorrow.

I enjoyed it! Especially since it more than made up for missing out on the zoo.

Check Johannesburg Hotel Deals