Mondial Hotel Bamenda, Cameroon

www.mondialhotelbamenda.com - +237 7793 8378 Fax +237 3336 2884

Mondial Hotel Bamenda, Cameroon Reviews

bigmac993 bigmac993
Clean Basic Hotel Jan 09, 2013
I stayed at this hotel for 10 days the last week of December 2010 and the first few days of January 2011. It is a clean and fairly well cared for hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. There was good security at night. I had one large room on the top (4th) floor with a balcony and a large bathroom. The bathroom was not in so good repair but everything worked well, especially an on demand electric water heater. The heater was made in China and I am still trying to find a source to buy these for some of my company's accommodations at our main camp in Afghanistan.

The only thing some travelers will find negative about this hotel is that they do not have an elevator and there are a lot of stairs to the top floor where we were staying. However, the hotel has the staff deliver your bags to your room and pick them up at check out so you do not have to lug them up and down the stairs. Still I had some huffing and puffing days when returning to the room. Probably good for me though. My local friends said many hotels in Africa do not have elevators because of electrical power being unreliable.

There is a pool in back of the hotel next to the mountain side but it was empty so I am not sure if they fill it in the summer. To the locals it was cold outside but to me it was warm. Bamenda is in the English speaking North West Province, now called the North West Region and it is much higher in elevation and cooler than Douala, the economic capitol of Cameroon. Bamenda is hilly with some curvy streets going up a few hills in the city. It did not look like any place I had seen in Africa with the hills and green grass and lots of trees. I read some reviews of Bamenda that made it sound very run down but to me it looked better and cleaner than Douala.

There was a good restaurant on the ground floor of the hotel with room service and a bar. The restaurant was reasonably priced and one meal we had for 6 people was less than $100 including drinks.

Bamenda has more expensive hotels but I was advised to stay at this one by some local people and I am happy I did. Everything considered, I believe it was the best value and I will stay there when I return to Bamenda.

I recommend this hotel to all TB travelers.
westwind57 says:
Wow. Sounds good James. As to the logging, yes, I had the same feeling when I saw those trucks. Been to a place near Equatorial Guinee where they were logging under FSC rules. But it seems to me that it's not a simple task to enforce and control sustainable logging. I deeply hope they can and will preserve nature as good as possible.
bigmac993 says:
Good one Brian! I will suggest it when I go back! :)
bigmac993 says:
Christian, I am sure it was good for me!
Mondial Hotel Bamenda, Cameroon Map