Monastery of Sveti Spas (Holy Salvation)

Skopje, Macedonia

Monastery of Sveti Spas (Holy Salvation) Skopje Reviews

Chokk Chokk
Incredible woodwork Aug 19, 2010
After my walk at Kale Fortress I went back towards the old town of Skopje, and decided to take a break at the The Old Brewery which was situated next to the Monastery of Sveti Spas.

I went in after I had seen a busload of Germans getting out again; I didn’t feel like joining a bunch of people. When I entered the museum as it is today I was the only one.

While I was taking a break I had enough time to read about the place I was entering.

Sveti Spas is today the only monastery left in the city centre and houses a remarkable little church half way under ground level. The monastery dates back to the 17th century, way before the Ottoman Empire ruled the area. During the time of the Turks’ it was decided that no other church were allowed to be higher than any minaret, so they had to dig the church down in order to get a high ceiling.

What is most amazing about the place is the 10 meter wide and 6 meter high wooden iconostasis. To me this was an awesome piece of work; it took 3 of the best woodcarvers Makarij Frckovski and the brothers Marko and Peter Filipovski 5 years to make it, from 1819 – 1824. Today the monastery is a museum but the church is still used as a church one day a week.

As I was alone I had the fortune of having the English speaking guide at my own while visiting the little church; he was a young history graduate. It does only cost you 120 MKD to get inside to the church.
The church entrance in the corner
Inside the yard
Inside the yard
Chokk says:
It was quite stunning, Harriet
Posted on: Aug 29, 2010
Africancrab says:
Wow the size is amazing indeed. wood huh!
Posted on: Aug 29, 2010