Monasterio de la Encarnación

Madrid, Spain

Monasterio de la Encarnación Madrid Reviews

Vikram Vikram
Talk about another saintly surprise! Holy Moly is the word! Oct 24, 2012
My decision to visit this monastery will probably go down as one of the BEST decisions I've made in my life! Enough can't be said, cannot be written about just how wonderful and special and sacred this place is. The museum tour costs 7E, but free for Madrid Pass holders, and of course EU and LatAm citizens.

I won't rant about what it is when you can read a more factual description here: http://www.sacred-destinations.com/spain/madrid-monasterio-encarnacion.

To be honest, I was a little scared to walk in and 'waste' my time as from the outside, it looked a bit like my morning fiasco (aka, the other church I visited). But I decided eitherways, used my Madrid Pass and walked right in.

Now, one can't take a solo tour here - you have to go as part a tour, and that's only in Spanish mind. So iwas given 2 options - either I take the tour that was already half way through ( well, not really) or I come back at 4pm for the next tour. It was 1pm... and yes, they 'close' for lunch!

Anyway, I walked in whrenh the tour was going on, and I was asked to join them in a room of paintings of various Queens and Kings. It struck me then that whilst from the outside, this looks like a very austere monastery, inside it's a very big treasure chest! I really really really wished I had a fluent grasp of Spanish (I know bits and bobs) as we wer ushered into various rooms, and whilst they looked likea typical Spanish room in a Church, the stories seemed really interesting. Each room seemed to have its own tale (each storey had its own story, LOL!)

What was a pain was that, not being able to understand the lang, I felt I was being held hostage as they kind of lock all the other rooms so tourists don't go wandering on their own, and are always in the purview of the tour guide. You can't leave early as well. Also the tour doesn't have too many spots where u can sit down, so folks with leg and knee issues, DON'T GO.

But the HIGHLIGHT of this tour, as everyone else will point out was the room where they store a collection of the most amazing and richest church memerobilia I have *EVER* seen in my life. You had crows, all sorts of fancy boxes, even a vessel containing the blood of some Saint, which during a festival (can't remember which) liquidifies (if it doesn't, legend means something bad will happen to the world that year).

The tour takes about 1 hour or so, and given the language disability, I was waiting for it to get over.... but that doesn't take away the surrealism that is the place. "Do not judge a book by its cover" our elders told me... I say "do not judge a church by its sparse tiles". LOOK IN, LOOK IN, LOOK IN.... AND DISCOVER A WORLD OF TREASURE!

Amazing! Definite must-see for tourists, even if you skip the yawn-a-thon that is the Royal Palace.
The statue greets folks visiting t…
The view of the Monastery from afar
Dr_Seuss says:
Sounds a good find :)
Posted on: Dec 11, 2012
jeanh2 says:
I was interested that you said it was surreal Vikram. I can go along with that. When I was in Spain I went to the Escorial palace and there is a sort of mausoleum in the lower rooms that is lined with coffins ... all the kings and queens of Spain. That is surreal too, as is the room next door called as 'the rotting room' where I guess the corpses were 'prepared' before being stored next door. Truly surreal! If I go back to Madrid though I shall definitely take a trip to your Monasterio.
Posted on: Dec 11, 2012