Mombasa Backpackers

021 762 1543

Mombasa Backpackers Reviews

ladydada ladydada
A backpackers haven Aug 08, 2014
I stayed here for over 10 days over the Christmas and New Year period. It was great to find this place because all establishments in Kenya literally triple their prices over seasonal periods.

However Backpackers' rate remained the same - we camped outside which was an incredibly cheap 500 shillings per person per night. It is only a couple of minutes walk to Nyali beach in Mombasa - it has an onsite bar, kitchen, wifi, security and a pool.

On Christmas day, the guys got together and organised a barbecue and on New Year's eve, a shuttle bus took people to Diani beach - although we just did our own thing.

Downsides include not being able to sleep until late at night but for that price, I couldn't really complain. As soon as the peak period expired though, I went and checked myself into a nice air conditioned apartment - you can only take the heat and mosquitoes for so long.

I would thoroughly recommend this place if you're on a bit of a tight budget, you're the backpacking type, under 35 (it's full of gap year students), and a 'chilled out' kind of person (that is, doesn't go to bed till 4am and likes loud music).
Chokk says:
Thanks for sharing - but having passed 35 I would go for comfort ;)
bigmac993 says:
Well it looks like your review is OK now. Probably because of these comments on the review page. It is no longer on the spam page. It is a good review too!
ladydada says:
Thanks for the heads up, I'll have a look at the Evening Guest House. That's a shame about my review - I only reviewed it because I thought it was a great find, of all the places I've stayed so far. I'll see if I can dig up any photos.
Mombasa Backpackers Map