Mollie Kathleen Gold Mine Tour

9388 Hwy 67, Cripple Creek, CO, USA

Mollie Kathleen Gold Mine Tour Cripple Creek Reviews

bkretzer bkretzer
Fun and Educational Jun 14, 2008
I was a tad skeptical when I read about the Mollie Kathleen Gold Mine Tour. It was advertised as a tour 1000 ft below the ground, where you would learn all about gold mining. I thought, “1000 feet? There must be some sort of catch or slight of hand.” They were going to take us down underground 1000 ft. Would that be safe? Well, figuring that if it wasn’t they would have already been sued into bankruptcy; I made it a point to take the tour while we were in town.

The tour starts with a trip with a ride in a skip. This is the elevator like conveyance that takes you straight down, 1000 to the bottom. This thing is not for the claustrophobic. You are jammed in like the riders of a Tokyo subway, but it is pitch black. The ride takes about 2 minutes. We went in the middle of summer, but underground the temperature is always 55 degrees, so bring a jacket.

Our guide was incredibly knowledgeable and made the one hour trip pass really quickly. The mine itself is a series of tunnels in the hard rock. There are no timbers supporting the side, as this is a hard rock mine, and the rock itself is structurally sound.

We learned all about hard rock mining, blasting, and the evolution of mining techniques and equipment. This included turning out the lights to experience what real darkness is, how incredibly loud an air drill is, and to ride on a compressed air powered transport. It was all very cool!

At the end of the tour we were all given our very own piece of gold ore. We were warned not to get too excited, as it would take more in refining cost than the gold was worth. Once back up top, via the skip again, they have a nice gift shop to mine the tourists. Cost is $15 per adult, and I thought it was well worth it!

Check Cripple Creek Hotel Deals