Mohlabetsi Safari Lodge

Check Hoedspruit Hotel Deals

Mohlabetsi Safari Lodge Hoedspruit Reviews

endalia endalia
Wonderful experience in the Bush Feb 06, 2011
I have stayed here for 3 days, two nights, last christmas. I can't be anything but positive about the service, the people, the food and the safaris.

The service is excellent. When we had a snake in our shower, one of the staff came, got it out and released at the border of the camp. Good thing it wasn't poisonous.

The breakfast after the first safari was prepared by Tony himself, the big boss. You can choose from fruits and yoghurt as a starter, then they'll take an order on how you want your eggs and what kind of extras you want (unions, mushrooms, tomatos). Vaughn's omelettes are better, but don't tell Tony.

Vaughn was our safari ranger. He's very knowledgable and isn't afraid to take a (safe) risk. He parked the car only meters away from a group of lions and elephants. Kudos for all the trackers too. They all do their job very well.

During the evening safari, a group of lions were hunting zebras in front of the lodge, but we were on the other side of the reservce. Vaughn raced back and he couldn't've done it without the excellent guidence of the tracker (Lucky), marking the road with the search light. We were just in time to see the lions still holding the zebra down as it wasn't dead yet.

I would come back here if I plan to go to the Kruger Park again. The private game drives really add to the South African Bush experience!
jack_nel jack_nel
Fantastic, relaxing, intimate safari lodge Apr 18, 2008
After two nights in the Kruger park 'lodges', our group moved to the Mohlabetsi Lodge, which is located in the Balule Nature Reserve which is part of the Greater Kruger National Park! The accommodations in the Kruger park where fine, nothing special, but not horrible either, but as soon as my group arrived at Mohlabetsi, we knew we were in for a treat.

The place is beautiful! We were greeted as we pulled up, by our beautiful host (she's engaged to our guide, but still...) and the owner of the lodge, Tony. We had welcome drinks and then got a quick orientation. It is an intimate lodge, not a large lodge, yet it still has everything one could want, a pool, restaurant (awesome food!!!), a small bar, a gift shop, massage treatments, etc.

Our small group of 6 unanimously agreed that we wish we had stayed there a few more nights, rather than staying on Kruger. The host were fantastic, our guide actually cooked our dinner and breakfast, to include a flaming, banana desert (I forget the name), which he hammed up and put on a little show, but it was great!

I was traveling by myself, but had the good fortune of being with three French girls and a fantastic British couple, we all had a great time at the lodge and wished we had more time there. I think for a couple, this would be a really nice place to spend a few days.

The rooms(African rondawels) were very nice, clean, comfortable,and neatly decorated. You could tell a good amount of personal touch went into the rooms(I'm a single guy and decorating isn't my thing and I noticed,so I'm sure the more discerning eye would really appreciate the effort).

The bed was comfortable,not amazing, but comfortable. Plenty of closet space and the rooms are a nice size. The bathroom sink, mirror is integrated into the room, with a small,private toilet room. The shower is located outside of the room. You can look out towards the reserve land over an approximately 5-foot privacy wall, which at first was a little odd, because you feel exposed,but you realize no one can see your shower area and the natural aspect of it was actually quite relaxing. The water was always hot with fantastic pressure (I love a hot, powerful shower).

There is a large lawn, with lawn chairs and chaise lounges that looks out to a nearby watering hole, so you can hear and see the animals right near the lodge, it was a very cool setting.

We went out on two open vehicle safaris, an evening and a day. The evening drive consisted of stopping for "Sundowner toast" and the day safari had a "Sunrise coffee/tea" break. The truck, a Land Cruiser, was very comfortable and a blast to ride in, especially in the very last seats, a bit of a roller coaster experience (if you like that stuff), but very stable up closer to the driver.

What really made the safari on private land different than that on Kruger, was that if the driver wanted he could go off the roads to get closer to the animals. We were VERY close to some Elephant families and a Rhino. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see any Lions, but so it goes.

Our last morning there, we did a short (1hr) nature walk near the lodge. Our guide filled us full of interesting knowledge, such as which leaves could be used in a tea, which helped stop diarrhea, and which made the best expedient toilet paper! We stopped and he wrestled a crocodile for us too. Ok, that's a lie, but he did show us the little guy that was in the pond near the lodge.

If, no, WHEN I go back to Africa for another safari adventure, I will definitely look into enjoying either another stay at the Mohlabetsi or if I'm in another country, I hope I can find a lodge that was as nice and fun as the Mohlabetsi Safari Lodge.
Logo on the Safari Truck
Double Twin beds.
"Bathroom".

Mohlabetsi Safari Lodge Overview

For the experience of a lifetime, and the chance to see the Big Five close up, the Mohlabetsi Safari Lodge, Hoedspruit is the ideal destination. Situated in the 55,000-hectare Balule Nature Reserve, in the Greater Kruger Park, this luxury accommodation allows you to enjoy game drives and foot safaris with enthusiastic and experienced guides. Just 10 km (6 miles) north of Hoedspruit in the Lowveld area of the Limpopo (Northern) Province, the lodge is easily accessible by car, and airport transports are also available. If you are looking for something completely different to the usual hotel holiday, then the Mohlabetsi is a winning choice. Your dedicated multi-lingual hosts invite you to take advantage of the on-site facilities, including the generous swimming pool, TV lounges and hammocks. You can even unwind with a soothing massage in the Tranquility Lapa. There is plenty of opportunity to observe the local wildlife in their natural habitat, courtesy of the surrounding bushveld and waterhole, and at night, you can admire the stars through the powerful laser pointers & an 8-inch telescope. Guests will also find a large trophy room, boasting fascinating artifacts and elaborate wood carvings. Outdoors you can enjoy the bar and lounge with breathtaking views, and the boma is the perfect spot to experience delicious camp fire dinners.

Mohlabetsi Safari Lodge Amenities