Moderne Hostel

Check Mammoth Lakes Hotel Deals

Moderne Hostel Mammoth Lakes Reviews

simsing simsing
Affordable and Clean Hostel in Mammoth Lakes Sep 06, 2015
Moderne Hostel is the only hostel I found in the Mammoth Lakes town which is a popular ski destination. Luckily it had all the features I look for as a backpacker. It’s located at the central area and public transportation is just few minutes away if you want to visit Devil’s Postpile using a Red’s Meadow Shuttle. The rooms are clean and well decorated with various memorabilia. The average price of a dorm bed is $40. The hostel comes with a well equipped kitchen in case people want to cook their own meal. There are supermarkets nearby e.g. Von’s. I liked the local restaurants and cafes and didn’t bother cooking.

The bathroom was very clean but the shower stalls are very small (may be 2.5x2.5 sqft). It will be difficult for big people to move in that tiny area. Also the plan of the bathroom was the weirdest for a hostel. It had two toilets and two shower stalls inside one closed door. If this was meant for multiple people I would expect some cover and a door for both the toilets. If it was meant for single person’s use then instead of building two tiny shower stalls wouldn’t it be nice to have one comfortable unit? I guess couples can use it together but do you really want to come out of your shower to get some shitty view? Anyway, I couldn’t solve this puzzle and used the bathroom all by myself.

The hostel has a midsized parking lot and there are signs that warn people from bears. Guests are not supposed to keep any food in the car. There is an adjacent Holiday Haus Motel that shares the same reception desk and people who stay in the hotel can have free breakfast and enjoy the hot tub. In the evening I spent some time in the tv room chatting with an European guy. Also my dorm had two girls from France. I had a very nice stay at this hostel except the first night. There is a hostel employee who sleeps in the female dorm. She comes in very late and leaves early which is not a problem but she tosses and turns all night long. Unfortunately she was at the top bunk and I couldn’t sleep well. Next night I was too tired to notice things and slept anyway. This was not a major problem and it’s possible that I will choose a new bed now that I know which bed is reserved for her. It’s the top bed near the window!
The entrance for the dorms
Other hostel buildings
A private cabin
Holiday Haus Motel sign. They shar…

Check Mammoth Lakes Hotel Deals