Missoula Montana Bar & Grill

Merchant Exchange 1 Bridge Street York YO1 6DD, York, United Kingdom

Missoula Montana Bar & Grill York Reviews

hanleyscot hanleysc…
The Wild West in the U.K.? May 07, 2017
I try to keep myself from going to the same restaurant more than once while I am visiting somewhere. Missoula, however, is one of those places where I just had to return to more than once while staying in York.

I have read more than once that Europeans have an odd fascination with the Wild West period of the U.S. Which I guess would explain why I had seen so many places that at least loosely borrowed from its style. It's never really held much interest for me but Missoula looked like a nice restaurant so I decided to give it a try.

I sat outside on the balcony overlooking the River Ouse. Across the river were probably a hundred young adults dangling their legs over the wall, socializing with their friends, and enjoying the cloudless day.

I decided to go with something a little more on the healthy side for a change. I ordered a spinach salad with avocados, walnuts, blueberries, and blue cheese that was ridiculously delicious. To continue with my new found interest in being healthy, I ordered a Jameson on the rocks and a Budweiser. Ok, I have no idea why I ordered a Budweiser. I don't even drink that crap when I'm at home. I remember being surprised that it was so readily available wherever I went in Europe. I know that it is a huge corporation but I had always imagined Europeans unanimously thinking Budweiser was swill.

I spent some time chatting with a local elderly couple out on the balcony who were seated next to me. They were very nice and seemed genuinely interested in hearing about my travels. Eventually I left to explore more of the area.

Several hours and bars later, I returned that same night. I wasn't terribly hungry but I thought maybe some dessert would be perfect. Unfortunately I ordered chocolate cake which turned out to be on the disappointing side. It did not taste fresh at all. The bartender more than made up for it, though, with her huckleberry/lemon martini. I rarely order flavored alcoholic drinks anymore. They usually end up tasting like cough syrup to me but this drink was as the bartender said herself after she tried some of mine, "like heaven." She was right.

Other than the disappointing chocolate cake, Missoula had definitely won me over. So much so that I went back for breakfast on my last day. I ordered Eggs Benedict served on top of a Belgian waffle. I left feeling very satisfied again.

So I definitely recommend Missoula. The food, the decor, and the service are all noteworthy!
hanleyscot says:
Thanks, Jutta! I still have fond memories of that restaurant!
Posted on: May 15, 2017
aloneinthecrowd says:
Belated congrats on your featured review, Scot :)
Posted on: May 14, 2017
hanleyscot says:
Bill - Haha! Thank you very much! Hope all is well with you!

Roger - Thank you! Good to hear from you again!
Posted on: May 09, 2017
jeminigirl jeminigi…
Great Bar area with a fantastic view Aug 24, 2015
Although it's a bar and grill we opted to have drinks here as a starting point for our evening in the centre of York.

The floor area is vast and the seating area is cleverly planned. There is an additional seating area outside along the river bank, but we did not sit here due to the cushions being damp after some rainfall (perhaps they could replace these with waterproof seats?) However, in the summer sun it would be an ideal spot to watch the world go by.

We ordered two Country Garden cocktails which were on the 2 for 1 offer - so £8.25 for the both. The Country Garden cocktail contained Hendricks Gin, Elderflower Liqueur, muddled with cucumber, mint and lime and topped off with Apple juice - it was delicious.

A tad pricey if you do not opt for the 2 for 1 cocktail offer as the majority of cocktails were all £8.25 or above - and probably not the strongest cocktail I've tried either!!!

If we'd not already booked our evening meal, we could have spent the evening here working through the cocktail list =/
Country Garden Cocktail
cotton_foam says:
Hmmm...a touch of mint is delicious!
Posted on: Oct 26, 2015