Minus 5 Ice Bar

Prince's Wharf, Auckland, New Zealand

Minus 5 Ice Bar Auckland Reviews

kaijin kaijin
Fun tourist trap Oct 19, 2010
According to my husband, what we paid to experience this place was only worth it if you're going to drink a lot and/or with a group of friends.

After we landed in Auckland and settled into our hotel room for our one-night stay, my husband and I went hunting for this bar that a good high school friend had highly recommended to us. Since the Maritime Museum had already closed, and the typical restaurant/bar scene was NOT our thing, we went searching for the Minus5 bar. I remembered the name, but could not remember why our dear friend wanted us to go there so much. As soon as we arrived at the bar's front doors we knew: ICE. The bar itself, the furniture, the glasses you drink your cocktail out of--are made of ice. Since it was still early (around 5pm), we got the Early Bird admission special. Pricey in my opinion (to have a NZ$12 cocktail PLUS NZ$13 admission) but my Husband's face lit up because frankly, we had nothing better to do. The cocktails were quite good--tasty in fact. And of course, we had to buy our photos because (1) we were not allowed to bring our own camera into the bar and (2) the nearest Minus5 location to where we live is in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Check Auckland Hotel Deals