Minus 5 Ice Bar

Queenstown, New Zealand

Minus 5 Ice Bar Queenstown Reviews

grimfandango grimfand…
Big walk in freezer with Ice sculptures! Do it as part of the pub crawls ;) Nov 05, 2012
Wow an Ice bar, said my sister, We have to go! So on our last night in Queenstown we stumped up the cash and they gave us a nice big coat, boots and some gloves, then in we went.

I have to say I was quite disappointed, I imagined something along the lines of a artificial ice hotels, like the ones in Norway but obviously not as good. But in reality its a commercial walk in freezer with a few Ice sculptures in. the ice sculptures were pretty enough and everything in the small room is made from ice including the glasses. There are reindeer skins on the seats for you to sit on.

You get one drink included. and they take your photo and obviously try and sell it to you on the way out. But that's about it. We left after around 10/20 minutes as we were quite bored by then, as did the other people that entered when we did. I don't remember the exact price I think it was about $30 or so?

If you want to go its probably worth seeing, just not at the price in my opinion. But look at all the information booklets around queenstown. There are a couple of Pub crawls that visit this Ice bar, I believe the pub crawls on their own are cheaper than the entry to the ice bar and also Includes five or six drinks, perhaps it was one in each bar you visit? I would definitely recommend this as a much better way of seeing the Ice bar :)
shirlan shirlan
Affordable fun Jun 06, 2008
A fun half hour! The jackets and gloves are supplied. One drink is included in the admission price if it alchohol based or two if non alchoholic. You can buy more if you have time. I found it hard to get through 1 drink. The glass is made of ice like everything else in the freezer. They have some beautiful ice sculptures. On the way out you can throw the glass into the bin and smash it. A great way to spend a half hour. It is some thing I would recommend for people of any age. If you need to sit down, the ice seats do have throw rugs on them. :-)
Minus 5 Anyone for a drink
Our barmaid
TYoungTX says:
I haved been to this bar in Queenstown and in Auckland. Definitely a lot of fun and very unusual. I would love to have one here in Austin. I am sure it would be a hit in our hot summers!!
Posted on: May 16, 2008
Sunflower300 Sunflowe…
The coolest bar in Queenstown. Nov 21, 2007
Things heating up a bit too much for you with all the adrenalin activities in Queenstown and you need to chill out; In the need of an ice cold drink; Or you just want a different experience of drinking out of a glass made of ice in the freezing cold? Then head to Minus 5 degrees Ice Bar.

Right on the boardwalk near where the TSS Earnslaw steam ship docks, you will find the ‘booking office’ for the Ice Bar. This is where you make your reservation, ‘check in’, get all rugged up in the winter jackets and boots (if you are not wearing your own closed in shoes) and yes they are sheepskin boots... well, we are in New Zealand. Once everyone has checked in and is suitably attired, a member of the staff takes you through an arcade to the entrance to the Ice Bar where you pass through one set of doors and then another, (this part of the procedure is a little like herding sheep) and into the baa... I mean, into the bar we go.

There are approximately a dozen people in the bar at any one time. It is a small area and everything you see except the cash register and the bottles holding the alcohol, has been carved out of ice. There are many ice sculptures scattered around the room, a couple of seats that I found people only use for photo ops and some tall tables that came in handy for holding your drink while you got snap happy with the camera. The word that I kept hearing in the bar and each time I showed my photos to anyone back home was “Cool!”, and it was so cool. Yes, literally cool, but it was a really cool thing to do.

As Lauren was running late, I chatted to anyone and everyone and ended up making friends with a lovely couple from Canberra who had forgotten to take their camera, so I offered to take some photos of them with mine and send copies to them. Brian was a character and ended up eating his glass, as he correctly stated, there were no nibbles provided. You would think for NZD25 for half an hour and one drink there might be at least a peanut to eat, but then you do need two hands to hold your drink, and your hands are enclosed in woollen gloves, so it might get a little messy.

I enjoyed two drinks; the first that came with the price of admission, was the ‘Arctic Sunrise’ – Absolute vodka, cointreau, pineapple juice and passionfruit pulp. The second drink which cost an extra NZD12 was the ‘Morning Frost’ – Absolute Vanilla, peach schnapps, peach juice, mango juice and passionfruit pulp. Both drinks were Y.U.M.M.Y! It was a little pricey, but it was a great experience, and we did have a great half hour; and I have made some new friends. :)

At the end of the half hour, as you leave the bar, because the ice glasses don’t fair too well in the dishwasher, you get to smash them in a bin as you leave, it all adds to the experience.
The coolest bar in Queenstown
Minus 5
It's fun for all ages
Eat up Brian
TYoungTX says:
I love that bar!! I even have a hat from there. Nice review!
Posted on: May 16, 2008
shirlan says:
great place! they even let us behind the bar
Posted on: Apr 06, 2008
jenn79 says:
How cool! I've always wanted to know more about these places!
Posted on: Feb 29, 2008