Minshuku Kutsugata-sõ

main street, Kutsugata, Japan
0163 84 2038
Minshuku Kutsugata-sõ - The minshuku
Minshuku Kutsugata-sõ - My room and 'bed'
Minshuku Kutsugata-sõ - The couple running the place
Minshuku Kutsugata-sõ - The cookies

Compare Rishirifuji Hotel Rates (9km away)

Minshuku Kutsugata-sõ Reviews

tj1777 tj1777
Minshuku Kutsugata-sõ Jul 07, 2009
From the ferry in Kutsugata it is only a short walk to this small Minshuku, which primarily got Japanese guest but the owner is very happy to tell you about the different international guest he has had during the years. These explanations will be in Japanese only since nobody in the house speaks more than a few words of English. The lack of communication in a common language is only a minor problem and the nice couple will do whatever they can to make you feel right at home.

If you want to stay you’ll need to be ready for a traditional Japanese style guest house - where things like a private toilet and bathroom do not exist and the same goes for beds. There is a TV in the room though all channels are in Japanese hence it is of limited use if you don’t speak Japanese.

The meals are amazing but if you have some sort of fish or shellfish allergy they are not for you considering most of the dishes consist of fish and shellfish. I got a feeling the lady of the house went out of her way to try to make the meals a bit more western for me especially the second day when she changed some of the fish for meat of some sort - probably pork - and the second morning she had decided to fry the egg assigned to me instead of leaving it raw to use for the rice like she did with the other guest.

During my stay they were quite helpful when it came to renting a bike where the man in the house walk with me to the bike shop and did the negotiation for the rental - and they even returned the bike the next day because the shop had closed by the time I had returned from my ride around the island.

As I was leaving I realized I could not catch a bus which would bring me to the ferry in time - but not to worry they offered me a ride to the harbor so I could catch the ferry in time. When I should pay for some reason I was given a lower price than the one I had been quoted when I got somebody to phone ahead and book the room for me - I don’t know if it was because I stayed two nights or if there was another reason. As I left I got a little gift neatly packed to take along for the ride - the lady of the house said it was to eat. And sure it was a pack of cookies with a motive of the volcano of them.

The only bad thing I really have to say about the place is the slippers. Like in all places of this sort in Japan there is a no shoes policy - and they make sure you can use some complimentary slippers. Unfortunately these slippers are one size fits all - this may very well be the case with Japanese. But when the one wearing the slippers are an above average height Danish male the slippers are not just a little too small - they are more like 8-10 sizes too small. Hence I am only able to fit a couple of toes inside the slippers.
The minshuku
My room and "bed"
The couple running the place
The cookies
alyssa_ob says:
Congrats on the feature today! This does sound like a really nice place and a very generous couple.
reikunboy says:
congrats on the feature
travelfan1963 says:
Congratulations--I enjoyed reading this!
Posted on: Jul 23, 2009

Compare Rishirifuji Hotel Rates (9km away)

Minshuku Kutsugata-sõ Map