Minshuku Iwatakan

Minshuku Iwatakan Rates and Deals

Minshuku Iwatakan Takayama Reviews

Airportman Airportm…
Affordable traditional style japanese hotel May 25, 2007
In 2000 I was in Takayama for the first time, but in a different Minshuku. This time I stayed at the Minshuku Iwatakan for 2 nights.

A Minshuku is a traditional style japanese hotel, where you sleep on the floor, share the bathroom (men & women separated) and you can enjoy the meal sitting on the floor.

The first thing I had to do when I entered the "lobby" was remove my shoes and put on slippers. Then after I got my room key, I had to climb the stairs to go the 2nd level where my room was.

The room was very clean and had a tatami floor, so the slippers had to be left outside the room. The room was a square and had a big closet with sliding doors. The room was for 4 (small) people, so I had extra blankets and odons to sleep on.

I'm not used to sleeping on the floor, so to make it more comfortable I stacked blankets and odons onto each to lay more comfortable at night.

There was also a small table with a tv on it, as well as glasses and towels. Since there is no own toilet and bathroom, I had to find out where everything was.

On the same floor was a shared toilet & washing sink. Downstairs were the seperated bathrooms, both hot springs. All looked very clean and there were another pair of slippers, which we had to change into before entering.

There was also a big dining room, which was also a sort of living room where guests could talk, watch tv or use the computer.

The Minshuku was located in a residential area, with a bakery about 5 minutes by foot. The city center or places of interest to see and do were about 20 to 30 minutes away by foot.

If you want to experience a traditional style japanese hotel, then this Minshuku is definitely worth to stay for a (few) night(s).
Minshuku Iwatakan