75 Rev Dr Mlk Junior Boulevard, Saint Paul, MN, USA

Minnesota State Capital Saint Paul Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
Historic Landmark , Great Architectural Work, the seat of Minnesota Senate Apr 21, 2011
When in Minneapolis or Saint Paul, do not pass the opportunity to go on a self guided tour of the Minnesota State Capital. The statehouse, is an incredible work of architecture featuring huge roman columns with great works of art. The interior has more than 20 types of stones used in it's hallways, stairways and the seating chambers. The ceilings are vaulted and reminded me of the Basilica of Saint Peter in Rome. The exterior is a spitting image of the Nation's state capital in Washington DC. Made of white Georgian marble and S. Cloud granite. Next to the dome is the golden sculpture of the Quadriga.

As you enter the building, the reception is to the right. Ahead, is the hallway with an engraving of a huge star, the northern star, representative of the Northern star state. Alyssa and I had only 30 minutes to tour, so we took time to see as much as we could. The governors reception room is decorated in white oak or so it seemed from my vantage point. I did not pay too much attention. We headed to the second floor, as we climbed the stairs, both Alyssa and I, could not help noticing the stones. At the top of the stairway was the Supreme court chamber. We did not go inside, it looked as if there was something going on. The gentleman at the entrance to the chamber was giving instructions to a few others moving things around. Perhaps it was cleaning time. Definitely recommended if you should have more time while you are visiting.

The second floor is quite grand: The Supreme court, the Senate chamber and the House of representatives are located here. The state spared no expense during the restoration; the sky lights and furnishings are original, decorative art in it is in gold and earth tones that create such a grand ambiance. The brown, gold, and band of red stones around the rotunda is nothing short of impressive.

The House of representatives chamber was closed, this was good Friday, we were surprised to find that the capital was opened to visitors. The chamber is only used when there is a session being held. We manage to look through the metal gates and marvel at the beauty of the chamber. We spent little time here before heading to the Senate chamber, also closed but the gates allowed for viewing. Again the interior of the senate chamber is delicate with great impressions, and two electronic voting recorders that record senator's votes.

I must say, the Minnesota State capital is indeed a work of art in itself. It is a great architectural achievement by designer Cass Gilbert. The huge marble dome and the self supporting stairway, not to mention the interior leaves one in awe. If you know anything about architecture, you will agree this is an outstanding work. I highly recommend visiting the state capital should you find yourself in Minnesota. I believe there are guided tours too, Monday through Friday at different hours of the day. Visit the website for more information. The tours are free so, all the more reason to visit. Do not let the rain stop you, it did not stop me.

Website: www.mnhs.org/statecapitol

Call ahead to reserve the times for your guided tour, or just visit the site to get more information if you decided to do a self-guided tour.

PS: Why leave for tomorrow, what you can accomplish today?
Minnesota State Capitol