Mini Trekking - Perito Moreno Glacier

El Calafate, Argentina

Mini Trekking - Perito Moreno Glacier El Calafate Reviews

agoodguy agoodguy
Amazing advanture Jan 19, 2012
Perito Moreno Glacier is a glacier located in the Los Glaciares National Park. It is about an hour away from El Calafeta. You can by a bus ticket at the local bus station. It cost 100 pesos (return). I suggest taking the morning bus that leaves at 8am and leave back at 4pm. This is the time when less people are there, so you can enjoy the tranquility and watch the braking pieces of ice on the terraces. It is very easy to walk about, as there are signs and terraces that you can follow. I didn't walk on the glacier neither did I take a boat to get closer, since it was enoguh for me to stand 200m from it and admire the sites. Highly recommended.
Perito Moreno Glacier
caramba caramba
The Glaciers at Perito Moreno Apr 18, 2011
The Glaciers

27. December 2009 - 07:46

I am delighted to inform you, my fellow Flatjumpers, that one of the highlights of my recent trip to Argentina was my unexpected trip to EL CALAFATE. It was a 3 hr trip from Buenos Aires. From my hotel room, I could see the Patagonia snow capped mountains. It was breathtaking! I went to the local travel agent to assist me on how i could get a closer look of that amazing view. In between those mountains, is Perito Moreno, home of the only remaining glaciers "not yet affected by global warming" (so our guide says!) It was a total of 2 hour bus ride from my hotel to the view deck, and another 30 min bus ride from view deck to the ferry station, then an hour ferry ride to the camp site before reaching the glaciers. I rented all my gears since the trip was not part of my itinerary. I was in total awe when i finally stepped foot on ice and started trekking. The sun was out and the sky was blue. It was so blue, it reflected on the ice and crevases. What a glorious day! The guide mentioned that the water was pure and sweet, so I tried to drink from the melted ice along the way, and to my amazement, it was true. I, along with the 2 other "brave ones" took that spur of the moment chance. It was spectacular!!! Upon reaching the last station, the guides, were kind enough to provide us some whiskey and dulce de leche to end our adventure. This once in a lifetime chance to trek the glaciers, totally rocked!!! You should go visit it someday.

Another highlight which I could not remise, was knowing my hosts, Guido and Natali. Thank you for welcoming me in your home. And meeting over 35 people, traveling from different parts of the world, deciding to stop by Buenos Aires to have a good time. And we all did, at one point or another.

This trip not only made me realize how beautiful and magnificent the Creator has made the Glaciers. But, was amazed on how many, wonderful and terrific friends I've made. I know someday, our paths will cross again.

GLove

P.S If you don't smoke, like i do, you might want to reconsider your thoughts of clubbing! haha, it is smoked packed!!! let me know if you need tips or advise on places/clubs/restaurants to visit in Buenos Aires.

Chanel_Taranaki Chanel_T…
Great views of the Glacier!!! Jan 21, 2010
We took an XL Tour with a very knowledgeble and helpful guide, Alex and the driver Hector who took us on an alternative route to get to the Perito Moreno Glacier which is a different way from the usual big tour companies.

Alex gave us an indepth explanation of the surrounding area regarding how it came to be along with the history of the people and lots of info on the flora and fauna.

We stopped at a little estancia where we got to pat all the animals there (guanaco, lambs, a smaller version of an osterich, goats and horses).

When we arrived to the glacier we had a chance to go on an 1hr boat tour to the face of the Perito Moreno Glacier (not included in the tour). This was amazing!! The boat was roughly 300m away for the glacier face which it didn´t feel like you were that far away at all because the glacier was so massive! When pieces of ice feel off the glacier it was absolutely deafening!

After the boat tour we got to walk on the walkway that is opposite the glacier. This is a very nicely kept walkway and you get some awesome photos of the glacier and you also truely see how far away the boats are from the glacier face as they look like little toy boats on the water.

If you get a chance to see this magnificent glacier, it is a definate must!!
bramwan bramwan
Apr 29, 2006
Mini Trekking on the Perito Moreno Glacier is a must do activity in El Calafate. It is a full day trip. You are collected from your hotel at about 7:30 and taken by bus for about 2 hours to the Perito Moreno National Park. From there you take a short (15 min) boat trip across the Rico arm of Lago Argentino to the foot of the Perito Moreno Glacier. There is a short talk by the guides (available in both Spanish and English) about the formation of glaciers, which is very informative. From there it is a short walk to the edge of the glacier where crampons are fitted to your shoes. It is recommended to wear hiking style shoes although there were people there with leather shoes too and they managed fine too. Then on to the ice. It takes a bit of getting used to trusting the spikes on the crampons, but after 5 minutes on ice it is not a problem. The views are spectacular. The walk should not be a problem for anyone with a basic level of fitness. It finishes with a little ice bar serving whisky on freshly shopped ice from the glacier �" a nice little touch. You need to take your own packed lunch which is left in a cabin when the boat lands �" most of the hotels will provide packed lunches in a cool bag for you. Tip �" Smokers should make sure they have a smoke prior to going on the boat as smoking is not allowed on the glacier side of the lake. After the walk and lunch you are taken to the viewpoint for the glacier on the other side of the lake. There are multiple viewpoints allowing different views of the sides of the glacier. The glacier itself is an incredible colour of blue �" unbelievably beautiful. You arrive back in El Calafate at around 7pm. A spectacular day trip. The cost is approximately AR$250 (about £50).
When in doubt, phoon.
Greggor58 says:
Sounds like a great day...would you have any contact info for these tour operators maybe?
Posted on: Aug 25, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Mini Trekking - Perito Moreno Glacier

Mini Trekking on Perito Moreno Glacier
So on to our first real adventure of the trip • Mini Trekking on the Perito Moreno Glacier.   We managed to get up at a reasonable hour for a change (7:30) in order to get up for breakfa… So on to our first real adventure of the trip • Mini Trekking on the Perito Moreno Glacier.   We…

Check El Calafate Hotel Deals