Mingle with the locals at Klön Eck

www.kloen-eck.de - 02371 - 14041

Mingle with the locals at Klön Eck Iserlohn Reviews

ik-ben-10eke ik-ben-1…
Mingle with the locals at Klön Eck Jul 30, 2010
A traditional German tavern, or Gaststätte as they call it.

Here they serve the local beer, a pilsner, named (one can expect it) Iserlohner.

Before I decided I would have a pilsner (I am not fond of the bitter taste) I was encouraged by the local people telling me that I would like it. Adn they were right: It is not as bitter as the dutch pilsner beers, so even I liked it. The bartender told us they changed the recipe, it used to be more bitter.

The people we met here are regular customers, as I found out. The place is a real German tavern, which dates back to 1814, and it keeps the traditions high, therefor it adjusts perfect to modern laws such as the "no smoking law for cafe's and restaurants" with the solution that the owner turned his tavern into a "smokers-society" as well.

There is also the saving program for regular customers, I never heard of such a program before, but it seems to be an old custom in Germany. The participants of the saving program have the opportunity to attend the annual feastings, which are very nice happenings as I was told.

After having a couple of beers we got a bit hungry, so I picked the menu to see if they got something to eat. The header "für den Magen" (for the stomach) turned out to be the selection of bitters and herb liquors, not what I was looking for. But when I asked the bartender about it, he got us another menu with a nice list of plates, from a simple (but very nice!) marinated sherry herring to well prepared schnitzels or steak, served with salad and potatoes or bread. The prices? It varies but all are under 10 euro a plate.

This easy going with food and drink for in every way acceptable prices added to the feeling I was very welcome in this tavern.
Klön Eck
Iserlohner beer, fresh from draught
The Klön Eck tavern