Miners' Museum

(902) 849-4522

Miners' Museum Cape Breton Reviews

windypeg windypeg
Jul 26, 2007
I had no idea what miners had to do, the conditions they lived in during the early 20th century and how the mining companies owned their houses, the water supply, the local store, etc. Children were pulled from school and into working in the mines when Dad was to sick to go to work....someone had to go or the family went without.

The Miners Museum is very reasonably priced and is a great learning experience. Your guide down into the mine will be a retired miner...probably from a family that has a few generations of mining in their history and can tell you what it was like when they were kids. Its educational, humbling, awakening.....and the guides keep it light and fun at the same time, .....and they can regale you with stories all day!

Its not a part of Canada's history of which we should be overly proud, but we should all be aware. Wear shoes and clothes that are comfortable for walking, it can be a little damp in spots. Your guide will offer a walking stick before heading down into the mines....take one!! I didn't and when the ceiling of the mine came down to 4 feet, my back was calling me nasty names!
Our Guide
Yes, you get a cute cape and hard …
Miners' Museum Map