Milwaukee Art Museum

(414) 224-3200

Milwaukee Art Museum Reviews

WalterC WalterC
Seeing the outside is recommended, the collection is okay Aug 21, 2012
The Milwaukee Art Museum is worth seeing, mainly for the architecture of the building itself. Located along Lake Michigan, on the edge of downtown, I believe.

Cheaper parking can be found across the street of the museum. And when you go to the roof of that garage, you can get a good look of the building. It is connected by a bridge, which you can cross to get to the museum.

And you can go inside and look at the place, without having to pay. If that is the only thing you want to do, you are restricted in the lobby area.

As for the actual museum itself, the collection is worth checking out. There are ancient artifacts from Egypt and Greece, along with European paintings, American furniture, Asian art, and some modern art. It is enough to keep one entertained. Also of note, is works of art from Haiti. That may be worth checking out.

While the museum itself is not a must-see, considering the price of admission, it is a nice option for a rainy or very hot day, as well as killing some time. But seeing the actual building itself, that alone, is worth the detour to see for yourself.
bridge to the museum
view of lake
Egyptian tomb
painting of dog
ellieisamazing ellieisa…
Milwaukee Art Museum Apr 16, 2009
This year was the second time I had the opportunity to see the beautiful Milwaukee Art Museum. Both times were catered events where we are allowed to see the art displays and then have a fancy dinner after. Very beautiful building, both inside and out. Last years artist was a little too far out for my taste, but, this year it was someone who studied under Rembrandt. Very nice. Did I mention that the top of the building actually has this wing like ceiling that will open up (if it is not too windy). I never got to see it open, but I heard it is pretty special.
homeres homeres
The unsinkable Ship, when it's not really One: Milwaukee Art Museum Aug 01, 2008
As a fan of arcitecture, this museum blew my mind. From a distance it is a grand ship that appears to be a ship docked on the Lake Michigan front and I was so enthralled to discover it is simply a museum! It is a must to at least view it and even see the artwork. This isnt in-depth because it has been years since i was last there. But im proud to claim the building is in my hometown.

I finally took the time today from my busy schedule to visit the Art Museum, the Quadracci Pavillion is designed by my all-time favorite architect, Santiago Calatrava. I love looking at his work and i appreciate the combining of his art with his functional designs of building, bridges, airports, train stations.

I got in, paid for my entrance and a ticket to the featured display: Gilbert and George!

There are 4 levels: Upper, Mezzanine, Main and lower level. The upper level consists of the Georgia O'Keeffe gallery, Folk and self taught,African, Asian and a collection of local artists in Wisconsin. I was impressed with the O'Keeffe gallery, there were well over 20 pieces of her work there in the Miwaukee Museum. Her paintings are...sensual which i can believe during her time, she may have appauld conservatives.

The Mezzanine level is not very big, mainly prints, drawings, photographs during the early-mid 19th century. The Main level is where I Spent most of my time. There are works from the Renaissance, Baroque period, 18th century european, Modernism, expressionism,--I could go on. They have workd of Picasso, Warhol, Chuck Close and current contemporary.

My Favorites:

Carl Spitzweg "scholar of natural sciences", i liked the lighting coming into the room while the scholar is busy..

Jean Le'on Gerome 'Les Leux Majestes' or the The two Majesties, awesome painting of the sun setting, the two primary objestives being the lion gazing at the sun, both being at eye level...

Sofonisba Anguissola 'Portrait of the Artist's sister Minerva', i remember the hoopla a few years back on this artist being a student of Michaelangelo. I liked the painting, it showed loving, humility

There are some 'weird' features such as one I like by Stanley Landsman, a 12 x 12 box, before u go in u have to put on shoe covers, next you're transported in which seems to be 'the universe', black with lights reflected off this mirror room seems like u could look ..forever into the universe!

Lastly! The Gilbert and George Exhibition. What can i say :) to describe their, Shocking!, non-tradional, pop-art. Their whole collection usually porrayed both the artists themselves in weird poses, use of a lot of red, some religious references which dalies along the lines of blasphemy, christian and muslim references. My favorite display wall was The 4 following paintings..'Our Spunk, Shave, Shitted, and The Penis'....shocking!

I ended up browsing for 2 hours, the longest so far i have stayed in a museum. I was by myself so i took the time to observe, nit-pick and gaze at artwork. The Milwaukee Art Museum is perfect day when you know u have a few hours to waste, enjoyable for an art lover, refreshing for those learning about art in general.
The Quadracci Pavilion
18th century sculpture by
the 12 x 12 room by Stanley Landsm…
This was the Frank Lloyd Wright co…

Related Travel Blogs About Milwaukee Art Museum

The final writings of the Bus.
Sorry it's taken me to so long to finish writing these, god, I suck. Well, when I last stopped writing we were at the sock/toilet problem.So, instead of using either makeshift toiletries, I just deci…Milwaukee Museum of Art, the Milwaukee Public Museum, and the Harley Davidson Museum. I love Milwaukee. It is so beautiful…
Milwaukee Lakefront and Iroquois Boat Cruise
So today instead of going out of town like I tell myself I'm going to do on Tuesdays, I decided to just walk around Milwaukee and then take an informational boat tour.  It was one of those rare …Art museum and passed the Juneau Lagoon and the Milwaukee Yacht Club.  They were having sailing lessons going…

Check Milwaukee Hotel Deals