Millesgården

www.millesgarden.se - 08-446 75 80

Millesgården Lidingo Reviews

ilserita ilserita
Millesgården Sep 23, 2012
During my explorations of Stockholm I’ve turned more and more fond of Carl Milles (1875 – 1955). He is Sweden's perhaps internationally best-known sculptor and artist, and you can find his works all over Stockholm. I didn’t know much about him, but I noticed that many of the statues that fascinated me in the city, were made by him.

So I decided to find all art and sculptures in Stockholm, made by Carl Milles. The best place to start this task would certainly be at the Millesgarden, that was the home of the sculptor and his wife, Olga Milles.

Millesgarden is located just outside the centre of Stockholm on the island of Lidingö. When I crossed the bridge, leading to Lidingö, the first thing I saw was one of his sculptures high up on the hill. The statue is of a flute-playing angel.

Millesgarden was built between 1906 and 1908 as the sculptor's private residence and workspace. It was turned into a foundation and donated to the Swedish people in 1936 five years after Milles had sailed for America. Milles and his wife returned to Sweden in 1951 and they are buried in a small stone chapel, designed by Milles, at Millesgarden.

The museum park features sculptures, fountains, flower-decked terraces, a collection of antiquities and an art gallery. The most important works by Milles are installed here. There is also a shop, where you can buy small copies of Mille's sculptures and also the well-known Milles pot. At Millesgården Lanthandel is also possible to eat lunch and to drink coffee.

I wasn’t prepared at all on how beautiful the garden would be when I entered it! So at first glance, I just gasped for breath! I tried to taking pictures of everything, but there was a thunderstorm approaching very fast, and the rain started to pour heavily down before I had seen it all, so I’ll return for a new visit very soon!

I highly recommend Millesgården to everybody that have the chance to go there! It is a really great place!

At this moment there was an exhibition inside the museum with Dick Beer (1893-1938), impressionist and cubist, who was active as a painter primarily in France but has remained relatively unknown in Sweden.

Admission fee: 100 SEK

The Museum is open daily at high season 1th May - 30th September 11 am - 5 pm, and at low season 1st October - 30th April, tuesday - Sunday 11 am - 5 pm
The first you see when you cross t…
The flute-playing angel by Carl Mi…
The flute-playing angel by Carl Mi…
Sign about the Millesgarden
rsvpme says:
Ilse...This is an award presentation....do hope it makes the top !
Posted on: Sep 26, 2012
spocklogic says:
Lots of great statues - awesome review!
Posted on: Aug 21, 2012
Chokk says:
Stort tillykke med din feature :)
Posted on: Aug 16, 2012