Millennium Sea Breeze Resort

PO Box 155 Bagamoyo, Bagamoyo, Tanzania

Millennium Sea Breeze Resort Bagamoyo Reviews

rachelward rachelwa…
Jun 15, 2006
This hotel, though not really a "resort", was a fabulous stay. During my two+ week holiday to Tanzania, this was by far the best hotel in which I stayed.

Hotel Appearance and Location:

The property is situated on a really nice strip of beach right on the Indian Ocean. You can enjoy a beautiful view of the water from some of the guest rooms and from the open-air dinning room. The guest rooms are located inside quaint thatched bungalows and many have a shared balcony. The rooms are simple but very clean and comfortable.

The hotel is smaller and more quaint than many hotels which I enjoyed. There is a pool (which I did not experience) that is nice and clean. I saw the staff out at least once daily tending to the pool. The pool man was also very friendly on days I passed by him.

Staff and Service:

All of the staff, from the manager the chamber maids were wonderful. They offer transport services by their private vehicles (to get anywhere in good time you'd want one of the drivers with the 'lead foot'). Our driver actually took us to his home and we had the opportunity to meet his wonderful family whist we were out touring the city.

The maid service was wonderful. They cleaned our rooms each afternoon and came back in the evenings to spray the mosquito netting with a non-offensive smelling spray-- this is important to me because I'm pretty sensitive to strong/perfume odors and otherwise couldn't have slept. Our rooms were always very tidy and anything we needed was quickly brought to us.

There is security at this hotel to keep out local merchants pushing their wares on hotel guests. She carried a big stick and was very friendly to us, even when we wanted to be let on to the beach late at night for innocent debauchery. :) I found the grounds to feel very safe and am not sure security would be necessary other than to keep out pushy merchants.

There are no in-room safes so I checked my extra camera gear and laptop each day with the front desk. Aside from checkin/out and checking my backpack, I didn't have any experience with the management/front desk personnel, so I can't really comment on that but the little experience I did have with them was pleasant. They will exchange currency for you but their rates are higher and you'd be better to exchange it elsewhere (like Dar or in Zanzibar).

They offer three meals daily plus tea which you can have as part of your package. We opted to use their dinning facilities during our stay in Bagamoyo. After the initial culture shock we found the food to be quite good and enjoyed it. They offer breakfast and lunch buffets and you phone to place your dinner order before heading down to the dining area. The dining area itself is quite nice and standard for many of the hotels and resorts in the area. Open air rooms on either side of a path leading to their beach property. It's quite nice to watch the locals on the beach and the setting sun whilst dining and enjoying the breeze coming in from the ocean.

The bar wasn't very large or spectacular, but it certainly suited me. The bartenders were wonderful and friendly and always had a spare match or lighter. They made fabulous passion juice and vodka cocktails and even allowed me to mix my own drinks at times (photos seem to have gotten lost). They offered advice on interesting things to see and were just really great company. The bar has a sitting area and a large tv that's almost always tuned into football (or at least was while we were there-- which was during the cup).

They have a small gift shoppe on the property that offers a small selection of pricey souvenirs, toiletries and an even smaller selection of beachwear. I'd suggest that you don't forget your bathing suit. ;)

They do have Internet in a small business facilities room. This would be the only negative aspect of the hotel. The facility was pretty sub-par and at 2USD an hour, the slow and outdated machines they provide almost weren't worth the bother. I think of the time I spent in the "Internet Cafe", most of it was waiting for pages to develop. I only checked my web-based email and visited my travel blog for very short updates. I was told that they had wireless Internet available before arriving, but never found out as if the wired connection was that slow, I can't imagine how slow the wireless would've been.

Conclusion:

The view, as you'll see with the accompanying photos, was breath-taking. The location is a very short distance to many historically significant areas-- a Catholic church and missionary built during the slave trade, an early Germanic Christian shrine, the college of art, a fort and next to another hotel that offered a disco.

The staff were fabulous and I especially enjoyed our driver, the maid and bar staff. As I'd later find out, the rooms were the nicest we stayed during the trip to Tanzania.

If I'd had access to faster/more reliable Internet the stay would've been perfect.
Guest rooms-- see travel blog for …
Bagamoyo Map