Meşrutiyet Caddesi 15 34430, Istanbul, Turkey
www.miklarestaurant.com/en - +90 (212) 293 5656

Mikla Istanbul Reviews

tj1777 tj1777
New Anatolian cooking at it best Dec 12, 2015
We head for a restaurant at the top of a building in a better area of Istanbul. There is an amazing view from the restaurant unfortunately you can only get a window table if you reserve in advance. Unfortunately I didn’t realize I had to request a window table when I made the reservation. Hence we ended up at a table in the second row - but at least we still had a pretty good view - especially since the couple on the next table seemed to spend most of the evening away from the table probably smoking outside.

I guess it is suitable we are going to eat here at the Mikla restaurant since it sort of has a connection to my part of the world. The old Norse name for Istanbul was Miklagaard - and the restaurant has named itself after the old name. So when a Norseman comes to town obviously he should try to eat at a place which got connections to his home. Though except from the name there isn’t that much connection to the northern the cooking is clearly rooted in the Mediterranean tradition but with a very modern twist.I guess a bit like the new Nordic cooking which is going on in my hometown.

When it comes to the menu you can get the fairly prices menu prix fix which gives you a change to choose three dishes from the a’la carte menu or you can go for the more extensive tasting menu which include 6 courses. The prix fix will give you the option to select your own dishes including the dishes on the tasting menu. The prix fix will be sufficient to fill you up with a well tasting meal but if you are like me is only expecting to go to Mikla one time I will highly recommend to go for the full tasting menu experience.

If you do go for the tasting menu you get a matching wine menu which is quite interesting since the wines are all local Turkish wines. If you like wine I will recommend going for the wine menu given most people probably haven’t had the change to taste many good Turkish wines and the wines are quite interesting.

The tasting menu start out with a small snack before the first starter arrived with a bit of veggies followed by a little fish from the sea near to Istanbul - the Balik is a little piece of fish which came in small fried bread and with some lemon butter to dip the fish in. The fish was small but refreshing.

Coming up next was a small dish with beef tenderloin with a bit of lentil and onion which was a great little starter. Next up was a bit more substantial dish in the form of a well tasting grouper. The fish was followed by the main which was called lamb from the pot - with this dish you probably shouldn’t take the menu too literally since the description of the dish included the word birdshit. Fortunately the dish tasted delicious without a hint of birdshit.

After the main it was time to refresh with some cheese and honey before the well tasting dessert finished off the meal with some great roasted hazelnut and sorbet.
Little snack
Another snack
Olive oil and butter
Ils1976 says:
interesting and it seems I missed out on the feature ... so belated congrats! :)
Posted on: Mar 21, 2016
Suusj says:
Congrats on yout featured review :).
Posted on: Mar 10, 2016
Paulovic says:
Congrats on your featured review!
Posted on: Mar 10, 2016