Mike and Anne's

1040 mission street, South Pasadena, CA, USA

Mike and Anne's South Pasadena Reviews

Eric Eric
Eclectic flavors that are sometimes too interesting Mar 21, 2008
I really want to give this restaurant a higher rating, because the food itself is not bad at all. The only problem is that it is sometimes too "interesting", and some of the flavors don't always go well together.

They say you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but I like to judge a restaurant by its bread. If the bread is good - not some bland, flavorless, non-fresh stuff that I could buy at any supermarket - then that usually bodes well for the rest of the meal. If the butter is too hard (so that it is impossible to spread onto your bread without tearing your piece into pathetic chunks), then that also reflects poorly upon the restaurant in my mind. First impressions count.

Anyway, Mike and Anne's had good bread, served with a tasty olive pesto type spread that was very delicious. The unique flavor complemented the bread perfectly. So I was pretty excited and looking forward to the main course.

I ordered a Monkfish wrapped in prosciutto. If you've never had monkfish before, it is kind of rubbery, like lobster, but less creamy. I usually like fish wrapped in ham/meat, because the soft texture of the fish usually complements the salty, chewy thin layer of the meat. Unfortunately, the combination in this case was less than satisfying because both the fish and the prosciutto were thick and chewy. Overall, it was just a bit too rubbery and dry for my tastes.

Lisa ordered the Swiss Chard And Ricotta Ravioli, which was served in a butternut squash and lemon sauce. Again, the combination sounded tempting, but the sauce itself was too sweet and citrusy (i think there were orange rinds in it as well?), and not as hearty tasting as we had expected.

I did like the restaurant because they seemed willing to try new flavor combinations. It's getting harder to tell one "California Cuisine" restaurant from another because the combinations of ingredients are all so similar, so it was refreshing to try something new. I wouldn't mind going back to try some other dishes, but if you're looking for something more traditional tasting I would at least shy away from those two dishes that we ordered!

Check South Pasadena Hotel Deals