Middleton Place

4300 Ashley River Rd, Charleston, SC, USA

Middleton Place Charleston Reviews

ChristyS ChristyS
America's oldest landscaped gardens Apr 13, 2016
There is a lot to see at Middleton Place, between the gardens, the house, and the stables. A friend and I spent about 2 hours walking around the trail they suggest you follow, though we did stop to take quite a few pictures and went off the beaten path a few times. We did not have time for the house tour, which is supposed to be about 45 minutes and cost another $15. There are also a few smaller tours that are free with general admission and can add at least a half hour each.My friend and I agreed that if we lived a little closer, the membership would definitely be worth it. It was quiet when we went, which may change as the tourist season approaches, but there were so many parts of the gardens to get lost in, there must always be a quiet spot to sit.

There were benches everywhere, but there was also a good bit of terrain that involved stairs or climbing up and down hills. The views were amazing from all parts of the plantation, and lots of history to learn about. All the staff was friendly and knowledgeable, though they were only around the stables and house. I think the only part children wouldn't enjoy would be the gardens possibly, but we saw some at the stables and I think there's enough exploring to make it fun for kids that are old enough to run around. Just watch out for the gators!

Definitely worth the time if you like history and nature.

Check Charleston Hotel Deals