Microsft Streets & Trips 2006 Software

Visalia, California

Microsft Streets & Trips 2006 Software Visalia Reviews

X_Drive X_Drive
Jul 04, 2006
Prior to going on our three week summer trip, covering 5,000 miles of territory where I was unfamiliar, I purchased this software.

Full price was $35.99, but at that point there was a rebate offer and so my outlay was only $15.99 plus tax.  Wasted money.

Everyone knows that maps are hard to keep current, so I expected something close to 5 years old to start out with. But then I was going to be on main highways and not into areas of new construction, so I felt comfortable.

One of the first things I noted was a "Construction Zone" area along my route headed into Yellowstone from Cody until 2008.  When we got close and I asked, that was true. Long delays while the construction was still going. But it was the only one mentioned in the software.  While as a matter of fact, we encountered seven different areas of long term construction  during our trip and this was the only one mentioned by the software.

Landmarks. What would you call a landmark?  Would a car dealship qualify? Oh, they might be nice to put under businesses, but to me they don't qualify as landmarks. And real landmarks such as the Crazy Horse Memorial is completely left off.  We noted several other points of interest that were not included.

Gas Stations.  I would be willing to wager that the number of gas stations listed on our route by the software was only 10% of the actual stations. I couldn't believe how bad a job they did on that part of the software.

We also noted that if you have a lot of points of interest and places to go, adding another is quite time consuming.

I printed out our trip route and driving directions for my wife to read and assist as a navigator.  It was nearly useless. If you can read the street signs you can do without this software.

I strongly feel that this software is a waste of money.
This is what the box looks like. N…
kensac says:
% years ago when I was getting ready to hit the road, i purchased Garmin's Street Pilot III. It was expensive ($750) and it has been worth every penny. They issue updates once in a while and if you keep up with the updates, rarely will you get in trouble. I travel alone without a copilot and this unit is a Godsend.
Posted on: Sep 04, 2006
X_Drive says:
Thanks for the tip. I opted for the cheap version without the GPS. I'd love the toy, as my wife calls it, but road signs today are pretty good.
Posted on: Aug 17, 2006
footlooseTs says:
Hey you guys might want to try Delorme Street Atlas with GPS. This is what we are using to find our way about, both last years 12,000 and this year so far 10,990 mile trips. :-)
Posted on: Aug 17, 2006