Mi Otavalito

(06) 2920 176

Mi Otavalito Otavalo Reviews

yadilitta yadilitta
Cozy and traditional My little Otavalo - Mi Otavalito Aug 15, 2009
We had a great day in Otavalo, watching the local people and knowing the local customs. So, the perfect way to end it, would be have local food for lunch.

I have read about this place and the name couldn't be better: Mi Otavalito = My little Otavalo.

The restaurant is small, cozy and charming. Outside it doesn't look very big, but once you go inside it certainly is. There are a few tables in the front, but they also have a courtyard with more tables. It was a bit windy to sit outside and also there were musicians playing in the front and we found a nice table near them, nice!

The place is decorated with traditional clothes and pictures of different parts of Ecuadorian highlands. The waitresses are wearing traditional clothes too. Pretty!

As most of the restaurants, they offer a fixed lunch. It came with 4 dishes! I was expecting complimentary popcorn, but they gave us toasted corn, yummy! Then the food came:

Appetizer: ceviche Otavalo. Since we were in highlands, fish and seafood were replaced with chocho (grain)

Soup: Yahuarlocro. It's a typical soup of the region. It's a chicken thick chicken broth with potatoes, avocado and all the innards of chicken and cow. Hard core! But give it a try. The broth was tasty and I liked the gizzards and some other stuff - better not thinking what it was, hehe. Well, none of us finished it :P

Entree: Chicken curry. It was tasty.

Dessert: Flambéed pineapple. You can notice that it was fresh pineapple and not can one. Not a large portion. Just enough to leave a sweet taste.

The staff was very kind and helpful. The atmosphere was great. Yes, the place is a bit touristy, but very good. Love the live music and the local decoration.

If you are in Otavalo and want to experience the local gastronomy, but prefer a restaurant that keep the local traditions, this one is a great option!

Oh, and regarding the price. Yes it's more expensive than the other restaurants, but still cheap. And totally worth :)
inside the restaurant