Metropolis Hotel, Istanbul

Check Istanbul Hotel Deals

Metropolis Hotel, Istanbul Reviews

purplemuse purplemu…
Not what I expected Sep 05, 2011
Based on the reviews from different websites, I was convinced that this hostel would be the top choice for me. I've seen a couple of photos and thought that I will be definitely getting my money's worth.

Location wise, this hostel is great. It's 5 minutes by foot from some tourist spots (Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia, Topkapi Palace etc).

Unfortunately, when we checked in, that's when my friend and I began to realize that the hostel isn't that great after all.

Just before my trip, I made sure to check if the hostel had made the correct arrangements, I booked a 4-bed dorm (all female) ensuite. To my surprise, our room didn't have its own bathroom, in fact, the whole floor (3 rooms) shared only a bathroom. Not only that, the bathroom was a bit disgusting too. There was grime and mold forming on the ceiling which I tried to avoid looking at whenever I'm taking a shower. It just puts you off.

Inside the room, the beds were obviously cheaply made. Our blankets all had holes in it and our wooden lockers were probably just made out of cheap ply wood with cheap hinges. The lockers were so small that you wouldn't be able to fit your backpack in it.

Although the hostel has many negative attributes, I can say that there were also things that I liked. The view from the rooftop was breathtaking. Breakfast is served at the balcony where you can get a spectular view of the asian side of Istanbul.

After a long day of walking around the city, you can have a glass of beer and/or some alcoholic drinks at the rooftop bar as well. The only thing I didn't like about it, is that they close the rooftop area come midnight. So, if you're having an interesting and fun conversation with some travelers, the rooftop timings can actually kill the vibe.

I would definitely go back to Istanbul, but I'll probably check other hostels around the area.
hk_trekker hk_trekk…
May 12, 2007
I just completed a few days stay in Istanbul and reviewed a few hostels. Best experience was the Antique Hostel and Istanbul Hostel. The Sultan Hostel is quite good too. I was not at all impressed with the management at the Metropolis Hostel. The manager / owner was mildly friendly when checking in but when I gave him a 20 hour notice of my intent to cancel the next night's stay, he became increasingly aggressive and even threatened to raise the rate of the previous night. I was stunned by his rude behavour. Lots of other friendly managers in the area.

Check Istanbul Hotel Deals